Position for home flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Hank, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Hank

Hank New Member

Hi all-

I have a flag fixed on a staff that I want to mount at my home. Does it matter which side of the door / entrance it is mounted to?

Also, when I take it down in the evenings, since it is fixed to the pole, do I just wrap it around the pole?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Hank --welcome!

Does it matter which side of the door / entrance it is mounted to?

No, not really. The traditional position of honor is on the flag's right (the left of an observer facing the house), so all else being equal it should go to the right of the door. However, if the configuration of the door, front porch, etc. would make it better to put on the left, it's no big deal. The protocol gets a little trickier when you're flying two flags at once (say, the US flag and a state flag). In that case, the US flag goes on the right of the state flag (again, the left as viewed by an observer facing the house).

Also, when I take it down in the evenings, since it is fixed to the pole, do I just wrap it around the pole?

Just about all flagpole mountings that I've seen have the end of the pole mounted in a socket, sometimes with a set screw to hold it in place. The usual process is to take down the flag, pole and all, and store it inside with the flag wrapped around the pole.

Taking the flag down in the evenings is not as big a deal as it once was, now that flags are made of synthetic material and don't wear out as fast. It's very common nowdays for them to be left up overnight. As I've pointed out in other posts here, the flag code doesn't say that you have to take it down; but only that it's customary to do so.

Best,

Peter Ansoff

3. if its ike a printed polyester / cheap flag i would advice taking it down each night as these dont last as long and colors may fade and isnt weatherproof or designed to stay up all the time

a nylon flag wil however withstand the rain and some are guarenteed to be fade resistant so these are more abe to be left out at all hours

in my personal view i think its better to take down a flag at night and put it up again each morning particularly on an upright ground standing pole but could also apply to any flag that is outdoors as one will be able to inspect the flag for any wear and tear each day before people are putting it up and in my mind if everybody did this it woud be harder to find a ragged flag flying as people would change it when thy saw it needed to be

i also think it adds to the whole experience of flying a flag since most people fly a flag in order to show their patriotism and/or because they like the look of the flag flying and because they have pride in their country- so why not go thorough the process of taking the flag down at night folding it carefully and putting it back up the next day? it doesnt take much time out of sumones day and i certainly would do it if i had outdoor flags

thats my 2 cents anyway!

4. daytonr

daytonr New Member

I have a new flag pole I want to install on my property, it is a 20ft flag pole that I will concrete into the ground. Where on my property is the correct place to place to install.

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I have a new flag pole I want to install on my property, it is a 20ft flag pole that I will concrete into the ground. Where on my property is the correct place to place to install.

Congratulations on your new flagpole! There are really no hard-and-fast rules about where it should be installed. Obviously, it should not be close to buildings, trees or other things that might foul the flag. If possible, it should also be located so that the prevailing wind is not blocked by trees or structures. And, of course, it should be someplace where you and others can see and admire it.

Could you take a photo once your pole is installed, and post it here for us?

Peter Ansoff

6. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane New Member

I have the great joy of being able to salute and bless my American flag every time I raise it. As I live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors, I can sing the Star Spangled Banner at the top of my lungs too. And I do. Quite well. ;)

A Happy Memorial Day to all American patriots.

7. way to go calamity jane - i also love to sing the Star Spangled Banner at the top of my lungs! and i live in England and i have neighbours - and i still do it :p

8. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane New Member

I'm sure the answer is already here somewhere but I'm too new at navigating this form to find it. The question is, where is the best place to find a 35 foot non-telescoping flagpole? It will go to the badlands of Pennsylvania. :cool:

Thank you in advance.

Yeah, buddy but ain't nuthin' like an American soldier! I gave a huge kiss and a flurry of Thankyous to a very elderly vet at Mass yesterday. He teared right up and so did I. Never pass up a chance to tell these boys "Thank God for your service, sir!".