Position of POW/MIA flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by FlagAdvocate, Nov 27, 2015.

1. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

School 1.jpg
    A new Veterans Memorial was recently dedicated in my home town. Attached is a photo which shows the U.S. flag highest on the center flag pole, below which is the Commonwealth of Pa flag. Below the state flag are the military service flags of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, POW/MIA, Air Force, and Coast Guard reading from left to right. Is the POW/MIA flag in the correct position?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello!

I believe that the "Order of Precedence" would place the POW*MIA Flag on the FAR RIGHT (outside) flagpole.

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Robin Hickman

I believe that the "Order Of Precedence" that is used by civilians (like me) here in the United States is/was developed from the applicable regulations of our Armed Forces, such as the Army, Navy, Air Force, etc.

Unlike the other Flags shown flying in the photo, the POW*MIA Flag does NOT represent an official "public" entity such as a Nation, State, or an official Armed Service. It is, as a "non-governmental" Flag, the "least important" Flag flying in that group, and that is why it should be flown from the far-right (outside) flagpole. There are a few EXCEPTIONS (aren't there always?) to the "official" Order of Precedence, but private, non-public, use of the POW*MIA Flag is not regulated (to my knowledge).

EXCEPTIONS : By an act of Congress (U.S. Public Law 101-355 - August 10th, 1990) the "official" (U.S. Government & Military) exceptions would be on Armed Force Day (3rd Saturday in May), Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, National POW*MIA Recognition Day (3rd Friday in September), and Veterans' Day. On those SIX (6) days, the POW*MIA Flag would be SECOND in Order Of Precedence to the U.S. Flag. So, if the above picture was taken on one of THOSE six days, the POW*MIA Flag should be flown directly underneath the U.S. Flag on the taller center pole, the Pennsylvania State Flag on the far-left flagpole, the Army, Marine Corps, and Navy, Flags bumped one pole to the viewers' right, with the Air Force and Coast Guard Flags staying right where they're shown.

I believe that the POW*MIA Flag is a "private" Flag in that it was officially created by and for, and formally represents, the National League Of POW*MIA Families.

http://www.pow-miafamilies.org/history-of-the-powmia-flag/

I know that the various Armed Services have their own rules & regulations regarding all nature of Flags, Guidons, Pennants, etc. Perhaps one or more of them might have a section(s) regarding the POW*MIA Flag?

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

4. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

School 2.jpg
    Robin,

Thanks so much for all the info you provided. I forwarded your input on to the school administration. Apparently they are in agreement with your assessment. I have attached a new photo showing the revised flag display.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  5. Robin Hickman

Hello, again, FlagAdvocate!

Looks good! Thank you for returning and provided updated info and a photo of the changes.

I believe that an acceptable "alternative" Flag Order would be to have the POW*MIA Flag flying under the U.S. Flag on the center pole, and having the State's Flag on the far LEFT (viewers' left) flagpole with all the military service Flags "bumped" one pole to the right. BUT... It looks perfectly "OK" as it is shown in the photo!

Thank You!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

6. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Robin, in addition to posting this thread on this forum, I also contacted the national headquarters of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion. It turns out that your belief in an acceptable "alternative" of flying the POW*MIA flag below the U.S. flag on the same flag pole is actually the protocol adopted by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, since it is in conflicts beyond our borders that service men and women have been taken prisoner or are listed as missing in action, and only service men and women who served in active duty in select conflicts beyond our borders are eligible to become VFW members. The American Legion, on the other hand, has adopted the protocol of placing the POW*MIA flag lower in the Order Of Precedence than the military service flags, since their eligibility for membership is more inclusive of all veterans regardless of where or when they served. Therefore, VFW posts will display the POW*MIA flag with/and below the U.S. flag but over the military service flags, and American Legion posts will fly the POW*MIA flag in position below the military service flags according to the Order of Precedence.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  7. Robin Hickman

Hello, again, FlagAdvocate!

Thank you for the "follow-up"!

Robin