POW MIA Flag half mast display - Help!

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by EdMurray, Jan 11, 2011.

1. EdMurray

EdMurray New Member

I saw the POW flag displayed today at half mast under the US Flag (single flagpole) at my County Courthouse. I thought that this was in error. I did some online research when I came home and did find one sight (Wikipedia) which stated that the POW has it's own set of rules, and should not be flown at half staff.

Anyone know the etiquette for this? If the US Flag is flown at half mast should the POW flag be removed from same flagpole? Any help would be appreciated.

2. polizei

polizei New Member

I'm interested in this as well, as I fly the US flag and the USMC flag. During half-mast, I assume I should just take off the USMC flag and just fly the US.

3. Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner New Member

The guidelines for the POW/MIA Flag only address something like this, i.e. flying the POW/MIA Flag under the US Flag on the same pole which would mean that it is correct and there is no other way to fly it if and when the US Flag is at Half Staff. Nowhere are there other directions for properly displaying the POW/MIA Flag, i.e. in parades or with other flags other than the US Flag always takes precedence.

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I would assume that with a single pole display that if the U.S. Flag was flown at half-staff then it would be "OK" for any flag (including the POW*MIA flag) attached directly below the U.S. Flag on the same halyard to fly at half-staff as well, as long as they aren't dragging the ground or something inappropriate like that.

I can also see the "sense" of removing a "non-involved" flag so that the U.S. Flag would be flying alone on the halyard at half-staff. By "non-involved" I mean a flag that is not directly involved or connected to the "reason" the U.S. Flag is flying at half-staff.

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA