Pre-Civil War Flag / Revolutionary War Flag HELP

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by cblanchette07, Jul 1, 2014.

1. cblanchette07

cblanchette07 New Member

I think I have a good one for everyone because this flag has not been seen outside my work but could use the help of anyone. This flag is part of a collection that is being conserved as we speak. I wanted to get some flag people opinion on the date of the flag. It is a Rhode Island flag I have contacted the Washington Light Infantry and they do not recognize it as one of their flags. I guess the questions floating around is it has 13 stars on it and those stars are not part of the graphic. They are six pointed stars like ones George Washington prefered. So is it pre-civil or revolutionary war. What's your thoughts. It is silk. Flag2.jpg

I'd love to know what price would be put on it for both cases (though it won't be up for sale sorry)

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

In my opinion it resembles colours from the War of 1812.

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I'm inclined to agree with Nick. It doesn't look like a Revolutionary War flag, because the eagle was not commonly used as an American symbol before the Federal period. It is obviously a unit color, and it does not conform to the pattern for US Army colors, so I'd suspect that is a milita color from the late 18th or early 19th century. The "Washington Infantry" scroll probably doesn't indicate any relationship with George; more likely it was a unit raised in a county or town named after him. The white shield with the anchor could be a Rhode Island symbol, but it could also be a generic reference to Hebrews 6:19, "Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast" which was (I believe) the source of the Rhode Island symbol and motto.

I'm not too sure about the story that Washington preferred 6-pointed stars. I believe that it's based on the supposed Commander-in-Chief standard at Valley Forge, but I don't know what the last word is on that flag's actual relationship with him. For what it's worth, most of the surviving examples of Revolutionary War army colors have 5 pointed stars.

cblanchette07, could you tell us more about this very interesting flag -- where it was found, where it's being preserved, unusual features, etc.?

4. cblanchette07

cblanchette07 New Member

First off the flag is from R.I. it was left at an historical soceity there with a story about it being attached to Washington's Body guard. I have researched that and anything with Washington Infantry around the area. There was a Washington's infantry established in about 1818 to i believe 1835 so I'm starting to think it is related to that. However, that story has intrigued me so I ave researched it and when Washington's life guards did join the regular army they did fight as a separate elite infantry group. G.W. personal flag was blue with 13 6 pointed starts and the eagle has been used long then the federal period its on the great seal 1782. Right now it's at the University of Rhode Island and I'm working with them to help date it. Just wanted to get a feeling from flag people about it. I also I have a newspaper article from 1775 describing Newport R.I. Flag and it has the anchor with "In God we Hope" on it like this flag. No eagle though.

5. noman

noman New Member

What kind of Material is it made up of?

6. noman

noman New Member