presidents flag c. 1945

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by bobdenn, May 31, 2010.

1. bobdenn

bobdenn New Member

Hello folks!

I have a 4-star President's flag...great condition 64"x 44"...how collectible is this flag, more or less? It.s cotton, no fringe...from Dad's belongings. I know they went to 5-stars...
    Thanks

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Can you upload a picture for us? If you send it to me I will do it for you. Thanks!

3. csaanv

csaanv Member

4. csaanv

csaanv Member

Here are the photos of the 1945 President's flag.
    534645031_1889797538_0.jpg
    534645403_1889798906_0.jpg

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

6. Robin Hickman

Wikipedia has a nice article written (or compiled) about the "Presidential Standard" :

Flag of the President of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It still doesn't answer the question about the relative "value" of BobDenn's flag, but it's a start.....

So, if I'm understanding it correctly, the "4 Star" flag was in "effect" for approximately 29 1/2 years, from May 29, 1916 (Wilson's Executive Order 2930) to October 25, 1945 (per Truman's E.O. 9646). After that, the Presidential Standard used a ring of 48 Stars, then 49, and now 50.

I find it somewhat interesting that the "Presidential Standard" uses an approximately 2:3 (hoist-to-fly) ratio, as the 1916 EO lists the size as 10.2' x 16' (as per the 1978 book, "The Eagle and the Shield"), rather than the more "official" 1:1.9 ratio. :cool:

Maybe President Truman wanted more Stars on HIS Flag than Gen. Douglas MacArthur had on his (5) ??? :eek:

Robin "Stars In My Eyes" Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

PS. Yes I know that Truman's 1945 EO pre-dates The Korean War (60th Anniversary coming later this month!) and his "troubles" with MacArthur.

7. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Actually it was Franklin Roosevelt who appointed George C. Marshall as a 5-star general and thought it odd that the General's flag had more stars than his (FDR's.). The design was essentially complete when Roosevelt died in April of 1945. Truman wanted an alteration to the seal, though. After the atomic bombs were used to end the war with Japan, Truman wanted to have lightning bolts added to the seal and flag to symbolize this awesome nuclear power. Cooler heads prevailed, fortunately, and the arms remained unaltered.
    Nick

8. Robin Hickman

I Knew I'd heard "something" like that SOMEWHERE, but I just couldn't remember WHO or WHEN !!! :eek:

THANX !!! :D

Robin

9. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

You are most welcome.

BTW I have posted a few more flags and flag related items on my Flickr photostream. I concentrated on Civil War flag ephemera:

Flickr: nicka21045's Photostream

Nick

10. csaanv

csaanv Member

Great stuff Nick! Thanks!

11. Robin Hickman

I found THIS one to be VERY interesting (and creative, in an "Allied" sort of way) !!! :D

[​IMG]

I guess that it's rather "fortunate" (in a 20th Century way) that the BIG three allies had the same three main colors of Red, White, and Blue! :eek:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

12. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Robin,
    Glad you liked the photos. As you know, the fact that the US, UK, and France have the same colors isn't just a cooincidence. The US flag is a modification of the British Red Ensign - a red flag with the RWB Union Jack in the canton. The US merely added 6 white stripes to the field, and replaced the crosses with 13 white stars. And French, inspired by our successful revolution, took our colors to symbolize Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite (just imagine the little accent marks over the final "e" in each, if you will.

If you don't believe that story about the French colors, how about this one: The historic / heraldic colors of Paris are red and blue. Separate those wby the white flag of the French monarchy and you get The Tricolor!:D

By the way, you can see this flag, or maybe one just like it, in the Mastai's book on page 237. My example came from the Mastai estate auction.
    Oops, I just noticed that my flag has blue hem stitching on the hoist while the one on P 237 has red stitching.
    Nick

13. polarman

polarman New Member

Wrong size to screen printed no phila quartermaster depot tag its a reproduction of the real flag. the real deal has fringe and is not screen pinted its hand made. i have a 49 star presidents standard from the oval office as well as other 48 star with gold and silver trim real gold and silver.
    i hope the info help sorry it not real:(