Procedure for lowering Permanent flag to 1/2 staff

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by fireaxxe, Aug 19, 2011.

1. fireaxxe

fireaxxe New Member

Does anyone know the procedure for 1/2 staffing a US Flag from a lighted, permanent postition atop a flag pole? Does one just lower it to 1/2 staff or lower it all the way down, pause, then raise it to 1/2 staff position? To return it to it's position atop the pole does one again lower it then raise or just raise it again? Thanks
  2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

The US Flag Code says to raise the flag to the peak, then lower it to half-mast. In your case the flag is already at the peak, so you only have to lower it to half-staff from that original position. There is no requirement to completely lower the flag and then start the whole process over again.

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland
  3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, FireAxxe !!! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !!! :D

I agree that simply lowering the flag to Half-Staff then back up to Full-Staff is the proper way to go.

However, something else has occurred to me. If the Flag has been on "permanent" display for any length of time it probably needs a good (but gentle) cleaning. Outdoor Flags pick up all sorts of dust, dirt, pollution, etc. A gentle cleaning should "fix" them right up.

BTW : A "clean" Flag will not only look better, it'll last longer too!

I would suggest either hand-washing it or use the MOST gentle cycle in the washing machine. I use Woolite on my flags and, if they're dirtier or dingier than "usual" I'll add a small amout of calcium carbonate (the exact same stuff that the over-priced Oxy-Clean is made of) to the wash cylce. To dry them, I hang them over an elevated horizontal pole, half on one side and the other half on the other side. You can also lay them out on a towel over a flat surface.

Anyway, it's just a thought..... :cool:

Thank you for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA