Proper Flag Display?

Discussion in 'Other Flags' started by RHALSTEAD, Jun 11, 2007.

1. RHALSTEAD

RHALSTEAD Guest

Hello! This is my very first post and I'm in desperate need of help.

At our corporate office we have 22 nation's flags displayed overhead. They are hanging out from the wall and the wall is a ½ circle with double doors and a rather large space in the middle. They have 11 flags to the left and 11 flags to the right of the doors.

My question is: Where should the American flag be? I've been reading through all of the posts and have concluded that it should be to the left as you look at them. But with this being a ½ circle, you simply can't see the American flag and it doesn't get the attention that it demands. If we put it by the door where the flags stick out the furthest, it's no longer in the place of prominence.

I am in desperate need of help as we have just erected these flags over the weekend and we have the Speaker of the House of Rep coming this afternoon.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hmm. That's a tough one.

My suggestion would be to put the US flag on the staff immediately to the right (viewer's left) of the door. If there's a spare pole, I'd even think about having two US flags, one on each side of the door. The other national flags should be in alphabetical order starting at the right (viewer's left) and continuing around the circle, skipping around the US flag.

The above arrangement is a bit unorthodox, but I think it captures the spirit and intent of the flag code. Symbolically, there are two things going on: you want to show respect for all the national flags, but you also want to signify that the US flag is in the place of honor, and that is the "official colors" of the building (if you will). That's the important thing to recognize about the flag code: it's a set of guidelines that have to be adapted to the reality of each particular situation.

Good luck -- Let us know how the VIP visit goes!

Peter Ansoff

3. kbreland

kbreland Guest

Can someone tell me the proper placement of the flag from the front porch of a house with roof overhang facing a four lane highway running south and north....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

4. from the front porch of a house place the flag so the field of stars appears left (irespective of whether the flag is vertical or horizontal) to the majority of people who look / glance at it - those on the highway.

it is only when hanging a flag over a street and both sides is visible that you take the direction of the street into account for which way the stars face.
    N/S stret the stars would face east E/W street stars would face north

jus hang flag so ppl on highway see the stars on the top left of it and you'll be doing it right...
    jus watch how big of a flag you put there - dont make it TOO eye catching... remeber them folks driving on the road are meant o be concenration on driving and looking at the road - wouldent want to cause a acceident/ loss of concentration