Proper flag name

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by jimmiejoe, Apr 27, 2011.

1. jimmiejoe

jimmiejoe New Member

What is the proper name for this flag? Parade? It is part of a display so want to get it right!! It is 7-1/2" X 9-1/2". Check attachment for Pic

Attached Files:

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, JimmieJoe! :D

QUOTE : "What is the proper name for this flag?"

Good Question !!! :eek:

I'm NOT an "expert" in these kinds of things, so I can tell you honestly that I really don't know. But..... there ARE some clues as to what it might be. Maybe we can make some "educated" guesses as to what the Flag's purpose and use was?

Just remember, I am NOT an expert! ;)

First of all, it's a 45-Star Flag. The 45-Star Flag was "official" from 1896 to 1908. With the Spanish-American War in 1898 and the "turn of the century" in 1900, it was quite an exciting (and patriotic) time. Lots of parades and lots of "flag waving". Another cause for celebration was the "Louisiana Purchase Exposition" (St. Louis World's Fair) AND the Olympic Games held in St. Louis, Missouri in 1904! So maybe it was some kind of patriotic "SOUVENIR"?

Secondly, is its size: 7.5" x 9.5". To me, its relatively "small" size would make it more of a "personal-sized" Flag. Perhaps it was at one time attached to a stick or staff (flagpole).

Thirdly, the yellow (or gold) fringe around the three outside edges is a "step up" from "regular" Flags of the day. Maybe it was a "desk" or fireplace mantle Flag, or pehaps a momento from a fraternal or veterans organization like the G.A.R. or V.F.W.? Maybe it was part of an elaborate toy soldiers set-up (Some of those could be QUITE elaborate!)? Maybe it was made for a political convention of some kind (1896, 1900, 1904, and 1908)?

You don't state what kind of fabric it is made of. The Flag's fabric might be a good clue as to its use. While a cotton, linen, muslin, or wool Flag might be considered more of an "every day" sort of Flag, IF it was made of SILK, then that would make it rather "special" I would think.

While it is quite possible that it was waved by a parade's spectator, I don't know if it would be called a "parade" flag, or not. When I think of a "Parade Flag", I think of one that's measured in feet (3x5, 4x6, 5x8, etc.) and is attached to a pole that's 8'-12' long and carried IN the parade.

Anyway, there you have the observations, musings, and speculations of a NON-expert.

Perhaps CSAANV, NAVA1974 (Nick A.), Peter Ansoff, or one of our other more knowledgeable members might be able to weigh-in with their opinions on your Flag?

Hope that helps!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

3. jimmiejoe

jimmiejoe New Member

Thank you Robin. It is under glass but I am certain that it is silk. Taking your comments into account it had to be for a special occasion. Maybe I can call it a "45 STAR SPECIAL OCCASION FLAG".
    jIM

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Jim ! :D

Just remember that I am NOT an expert, OK? :eek: ( :D )

I really, REALLY, think you should get the opinion/advice of one of our forums' experts. I think that Nick A. (NAVA1974) is the most knowledgeable when it comes to flag fabrics, and construction details. But he, Peter Ansoff, and some of the others have a pretty good working knowledge of flags and the contextual histories of different flags and how they are interwoven into the fabric of our nation's history.

I honestly have no idea why or when it was made (or by whom it was made), much less what to call it!

For all I know, your Flag might be a "National Treasure" because it is the last one remaining of the few thousand that were given out at the Grand Army of the Republic's (G.A.R.) 40th reunion of the Battle of Gettysburg in July, 1903!

Anyway . . . . . GOOD LUCK !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA