Proper method to carry the flag when not attached to a staff?

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by tfconway, Oct 8, 2010.

1. tfconway

tfconway New Member

Hello,

My name is Tom, and I am a Cub Scout leader. We are planning a flag retirement ceremony, but one step is going to pose a problem. Once we detach the flag from the flagstaff, we will have to transport it about 20 feet to the ceremonial fire. I know that the flag code prohibits carrying the flag horizontally, and instead requires that the flag be carried, "aloft and free." But, if one scout tries to hold the flag aloft, likely the fly will end up dragging on the ground. If two scouts try and hold up the top two corners, the flag will not technically be "free." So, how do we properly and respectfully transport the flag from the staff to the fire? It seems silly to fold it just to carry it 20 feet, but that is the only logical thing I can think of. Will that be required? I certainly don't want to teach our scouts something improper.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Tom,
    Welcome to the USA Flag Forum!

You are wise to remove the flag from the pole before bringing it to the fire. However, as far as I know there is no protocol for carrying the flag to the fire. I would suggest simply gathering it in your arms and carry it the 20 feet. I don't see a need for folding it (and certainly no need to fold it into a triangle) as it would have to be unfolded in order to ensure swift and complete combustion.

When armed forces personnel lower their huge base flags one or two members of the team simply gather the end of the flag into a ball as it is lowered. Once unclipped from the halyard it can be straightened out and folded properly for storage, or it may be carried inside if there is space to accommodate the flag folding.