Proper Placement in Parade

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by judyc33, Jul 3, 2009.

1. judyc33

judyc33 New Member

My Girl Scout troop will be in a 4th of July parade tomorrow. I have been unable to find out who should lead, the flags or our troop banner. I think it would be be flags but I've seem pictures both ways. We want to teach the girls the correct way.
    :confused:

Judy C

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, JudyC33 ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

QUOTE : "My Girl Scout troop will be in a 4th of July parade tomorrow. I have been unable to find out who should lead, the flags or our troop banner. I think it would be be flags but I've seem pictures both ways. We want to teach the girls the correct way."

It's GOOD that you want to teach your Girl Scout Troop how to handle the U.S. Flag with Honor & Respect in the Independence Day Parade and how to do it the "correct way".

Actually, I'm a little surprised that the Girl Scouts' Manual does NOT cover this. Forgive me for asking the obvious, but has anybody checked the GS Manual?

At any rate, I believe that the U.S. Flag should be out in FRONT.

If it is the ONLY Flag, then it will be out in front with at least one "color guard" on either side.

If the U.S. Flag is in a line (marching abreast) with one or more other Flags, then it will be to it's "own right" (meaning to the "viewers' left") and ALL the other flags will be to its "own left" (to the viewers' right). And there should be at least one "color guard" at both ends of the line.

IF there are a LARGE number of Flags, then you might look at putting the U.S. Flag "front & center" with the other flags in a line close behind.

I don't know if this will help or not, but we have at least one other thread that deals with The American Flag, Scouting, and Color Guards. Although it is NOT about parades, I believe the photos and some of the information might help you visualize a little bit better.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/scouter-needs-help-5590.html

In the meantime, here are some photos of Girl Scouts carrying flags in Parades that I found via "Google" :

2006HoquiamParade.jpg :
    2006HoquiamParade.jpg

2008_03_15_parade_flag.jpg :
    2008_03_15_parade_flag.jpg

flag-parade.jpg :
    flag-parade.jpg

Let us know if this helps !

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !

Robin "Marching To The Beat Of My Own Drummer!" Hickman

3. judyc33

judyc33 New Member

Thank you very much for your help.

Judy C