protocol question

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by John Jarosz, Jun 15, 2008.

1. John Jarosz

John Jarosz New Member

I recently attended a convention where the guest speakers were brought up to the front dias and sent around the American flag, audience left, to gain access to the dias. I thought the correct procedure is to send the guest speakers around to the left, audience right? Is this a violation of the flag etiquette?

2. as long as the flag was in the right position - to the left side (from the audience view) of the speakers platform - which it sounds like it was - then i cannot see any violations of the flag code here...

it does not matter if people walk infront of the flag

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I recently attended a convention where the guest speakers were brought up to the front dias and sent around the American flag, audience left, to gain access to the dias. I thought the correct procedure is to send the guest speakers around to the left, audience right? Is this a violation of the flag etiquette?

Hi, John, welcome to the Forum!

The flag code says that the flag should be displayed at the speaker's right, which is the audience's left. The question of which side the speaker should come from really has nothing to do with flag etiquette. The only problem that might arise is if the flag were actually in the way of someone coming on to the dias. In that case, it might make sense to have them come up the other side.

Peter Ansoff