question about line in header on a old flag..

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by nkcsweetie, Oct 4, 2011.

1. nkcsweetie

nkcsweetie New Member

hey, i've posted this before in a different forum, thought it was better off here....I was told that the blue line in the canvas header had some kind of meaning, military?? If anyone can help me out on this that would be great, I couldn't come up with anything online...I do have pictures of what i'm talking about...Pictures by nkcsweetie - Photobucket

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I have been collecting flags for four decades but I haven't noticed any obvious pattern except to say that such heading material appears common on 20th C European made flags. Don't recall seeing it on any US flags in my collection.

Nick A
    Columbia MD

3. nkcsweetie

nkcsweetie New Member

thanks.:) ...this flag is such a huge puzzle for me....I took it last week to the museum in Raleigh NC, and was told it was a period flag (34 star 1861) and that's when she told me about the line had some meaning...

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Most museums do not have flag experts on staff. I would make an exception for the Museum of the Confederacy. Even the flag curators at the Smithsonian admit they are not flag experts, but are conservation experts.

I would consult Jeff Bridgman or Ken Kohn, two dealers in antique flags.

Nick A

5. csaanv

csaanv Member

One of my 45 star flags has one of those blue lines in the canvas header too. I assumed it came from a random bolt of canvas the flag manufacter had.

6. csaanv

csaanv Member

nkcsweetie,
    does your blue line header look like this?

45 Star Flag.jpg

7. nkcsweetie

nkcsweetie New Member

8. Christopher

Christopher New Member

I have an early 48 star that has a blue line in it as well.
    photo2.jpg

9. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Christopher,
    Are there any other stamps or labels on your flag? I have always wondered if these flags with the blue line on the header came from a common source.
    Thanks for posting.
    mike