Question @ age of confederate flag

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Phillips, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Phillips

Phillips New Member

Could someone please help me to identify the age of a confederate flag that my grandmother gave me. She found it in her grandmother's trunk. (My grandma is 75 and her gma would be @ 120 years old. It looks really old but I don't know how to tell exactly how old.
    On the top left there is a faded 2 x 3 stamped.
    The stars are crisscrossed stitched on.
    The thread color matches the fabric that it is stitched to. There are two brass gromets.
    The stitch line runs erratic in some spots.
    Almost like it was either hand sewn or ran with an old machine.
    I am not sure that this helps or that I will even get a reply but it was worth a shot.
    Thanks

2. cool! - well it might help us some more if you can post some pictures?

3. Phillips

Phillips New Member

I have taken photos of the flag and would love to share them but I can't figure out how to post them to this sight. If I had an email address the photo program I use can email them to you. (I use Snapfish - it makes it easy when sharing family photos)/. Sorry that I am not better at this:) I will be happy to take direction.

4. the easiest way to share photos with ppl online is througha site called photobucket..

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

make a free ID there
    then upload your photos- which is dead easy - ull see a big blank box in the screen the blue button next up it saying choose files... u select a file (hold ctrl down to choose several - then click each file u want ) then let 'er rip - theyll upload automatically

then copy and paste the [IMG link under the desired picture into here and the photos will show straight onto the screen - like so

[​IMG]
    - i drew that picture last weekend..

alternatavly if lots of pics are there- u can send a direct link to the album

hope u can do it alright..

5. Phillips

Phillips New Member

phillipsbunch - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Okay:) Let's see if this works, if not, I can try again. Thank you very much for your help. I am trying to reply quickly bc of the time difference.
    I was just in the UK in November with a friend and know that at midnight my time you'll still be well awake:)
    Great painting by the way - beautiful.
    Thanks again. :)

6. USAFlags

USAFlags Administrator Staff Member

Sorry about the trouble you had posting the link, Phillips!
    When you're a new member (under a certain number of posts), the forum system requires links to be approved by a mod or admin.

7. hi there philips- thanks for the compliment to my drawing! - its was actually drawn with a blue pen and colored with felt tips!

now the - this flag of yours..

its definatly machine sewn -

around the corners of the flag it looks like somebody has gone to it at a later date with another sewing machine with a single track stitch- and obviously they were inexperianced with using the machine

the stars also look to be machine sewn

i would date that flag to be made the late 1800s/ early 1900s.