Questions about Flag Etiquette

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by beckmim, Apr 1, 2012.

1. beckmim

beckmim New Member

This may be better left for a forum, but since it's not a workday, and I work during the day, I'm going to go ahead and proceed.
    I thought I remembered a lot about the etiquette of our American Flag, and have had quite a debate with some people over hanging a flag from a pole by attaching the pole on a living tree. ( I am also a "Tree Hugger," so you know it hurts me to see this tree hammered into, and I know the tree itself is disrespected, but we are talking about the American Flag. )
    I cannot find anything online about this to "print off" and show them, nor can I find a site to give them. I just remember as a child that it was WRONG to attach a flag pole to a tree. Disrespectful....
    Can anyone help me with written documentation?
    Thank you.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Beckmim -- welcome to the forum!

The Flag Code does not mention display on trees, and I don't know of any other regulation that addresses this. The sense of the Flag Code is that the flag should be flown "aloft and free," which I'd interpret as saying that it should be clear of branches and other such obstructions on which it might get fouled or tangled. Other than that, I can't see any objection to mounting a flag pole on a tree (from a flag etiquette standpoint, anyway).

BTW, I've taken the liberty of moving this thread to the "US Flag Display" section.

Peter Ansoff