questions on flag etiquette.

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Serywil, May 28, 2015.

1. Serywil

Serywil New Member

Hello all, new here. I've searched for the answer to this question with no real answer, so you are my last hope! I am wanting to paint the front door of my home like an american flag. I know the union goes to the flags right (viewers left). My question is, would this, in any way, be disrespectful? I will not do something that would be considered inappropriate for the flag. That's the whole reason I'm wanting to do it! And on a side note, I keep seeing american flags that are black and white, what's up with that?

2. Serywil

Serywil New Member

And of course, it would be sideways one the door.

3. Serywil

Serywil New Member

Anyone?

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Serywil, and Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

Are you wanting to paint an American Flag ON your front door, or are you wanting to paint your front door AS an American Flag? Not that it makes that much of a difference, it's just that I'm a little confused by what you've written, or maybe the way you wrote it. Probably by the way I "interpreted" it!

Because of the shapes of doors and Flags, I'm assuming that you want to paint the Flag, of whatever size, vertically on the door, correct? I would think that it would be "OK" to paint a Flag on your door or paint your door as a Flag. And I mean "OK", as in I don't think it would be "disrespectful" to our Flag. It would be one heck of a paint job getting all the elements of the Flag sized correctly, positioned correctly, and all put together correctly. Whew! What a job!

If you didn't want to have deal with the job of painting such a complex design on your front door correctly and having it on there 24/7/365, and then keeping it clean and in good repair, there are a few "temporary" solutions.

For temporary use (such as holidays) there are American Flag "door covers" (or "wraps") that can be used. They do NOT cover the door completely, however, since they are usually about 2½ feet by 5 or 6 feet. I think most standard sized exterior doors are about 3' x 7' or 3' x 7½' (36" x 84" or 36" x 90"). The door covers are made of pliable plastic and are narrow enough so you shouldn't have too much trouble with door latches, door knobs, and lock assemblies, but it would cover up a security peep-hole. Length-wise, at only 5' or 6', they'd be a little short on your door.

American Flag Door Cover on Amazon :

http://www.amazon.com/Century-Novelty-014-57084-American-Cover/dp/B003T8RB2A

The other "temporary" solution could be hanging an American Flag on/over your front door, but then again there would be the "size" problem. Common Flag sizes are 2'x3', 2½'x4', 3'x5', and 4'x6', none of which would be a very good "match" to a standard sized exterior door. There are "Government Specifications" ("G-Spec") Flags that use the official 1:1.9 hoist-to-fly ration. But still, you'd have a tough time matching them up (size-wise) with your front door. The two closest sizes are 3.52' x 6.69' (approx. 3'6" x 6'8") and 2.90' x 5.51'.

You can get some more ideas by "Googling" the search terms "American Flag" +"Door" OR "American Flag" +"Front Door". There might be some other "solutions" there, and you can check the "Images" pages to see what other people have done.

RE : "Black & White American Flags. Although I have seen "graphic" designs of them on the internet, I have never (yet) actually seen one in person. I have seen "subdued" and "desert camo" Flag PATCHES, but no B & W ones. So, I am of NO help there, other than to offer my opinion that whoever uses/displays/flies a B&W American Flag does because that's how they choose to express themselves.

I hope some or all of this is of some assistance to you!

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our forum!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, again, Serywil!

Was my answer to your question helpful?

Thank You,

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.