Recommend Adding The U.S. Flag Code To A School's Curriculum

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by FlagAdvocate, Feb 22, 2017.

1. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Whenever I am in contact with a school's administration concerning improving a flag display, if appropriate I may recommend adding the U.S. Flag Code to the school's curriculum. Usually I never know how that recommendation has been received, but yesterday I was encouraged with the following reply:

Mr. Jameson,
    Honestly, I am not quite sure if that is covered in our curriculum. I will be sure to check as I would think it should be included in our U.S. History curriculum that we teach to our fifth graders. If is not already included then I will have our teachers add it. I agree that it should definitely be taught to our students. Thank you for your help and patriotism, it is very much appreciated.
    Signed by the School District Superintendent

So take heart Forum Members. You may never know how a recommendation like that may be received, but I encourage you to follow this example when appropriate. I was completely unaware of the U.S. Flag Code growing up. It wasn't until I was counseled by a retired veteran when he and his friends saw a mistake I had made with an inappropriate arrangement of flags on my Harley in a Veterans Day parade many years ago. The U.S. Flag Code was not something I learned about in school, and most likely too many of today's youth are just as oblivious of the Stars & Stripes as I was.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017