Replica of 29 star flag.

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Ric Tester, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Ric Tester

Ric Tester New Member

I have begun a project - to make a replica of the 29 star flag. I am far from finished but am on my way. The flag will be fully sewn. The images give an indication of my progress.

Attached Files:

2. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole Member

Very cool, I'm not sure that I would have the patience. Looking forward to the final product.

3. Ric Tester

Ric Tester New Member

Hi Dexter. The flag isn't finished yet, but almost. Here it is so far. All fully sewn, both sides, made of duck canvas cotton. Flag-29stars.jpg

Robin Hickman likes this.
  4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

…..

WOWZERS !!!

…..

5. Ric Tester

Ric Tester New Member

IMG_3765.jpg IMG_3761.JPG IMG_3759.JPG
    Thank you Robin. This flag will now join others in my collection. And there will be more to come. I love how the American flag - perhaps more than any other - tells a story. The addition of the stars as more states are added adds a great deal of meaning to the flag. The flag is now complete and was flying today. IMG_3765.jpg IMG_3765.jpg IMG_3761.JPG

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

…..
    It's really nice to see it FLYING, Ric!

Nice touch with the "matching" red and white threads. "Chain" stitching or "lock" stitching?

Robin
    …..

7. Ric Tester

Ric Tester New Member

Lock stitching. All seams were double lapped and completed with two rows of stitching. The stars were sewn on using an invisible nylon thread using the zigzag function on the machine. Each star was sewn in place with a guide stich. This was used to position the stars on the other side of the canton before the final stitching was done. Its funny how when you do a project like this you realise just how much work there is in it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  8. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole Member

Just incredible Ric, well well well done!

9. Ric Tester

Ric Tester New Member

Thank you Dexter - I appreciate your kind comment. There will be another one on the drawing board, but I haven’t decided which yet.

10. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike Member

Great work on the flag, and one of my favorite star patterns......so unusual today.

11. Ric Tester

Ric Tester New Member

Thank you Mike. Although I am from Sydney Australia I have had a special interest in American history since my teenage years.