Rosettes and ribbons?

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by CultureGeek, Jul 3, 2007.

1. CultureGeek

CultureGeek Member

I am making a sign for a fourth of July parade. There won't be any flags involved because:
    a. It's going to be a sandwich-board (i.e. wearing apparel)
    b. It'd have to be a 1930s flag b/c my costume will involve a 1930s vintage dress and I do not have time to find or make one.

However, it is going to be adorned with red, white, and blue ribbons (I was going to make bunting, since I couldn't find any but my machine isn't working. I won't go into detail on what kinds of stitch I considered using and all, but suffice to say it would take a lot more time than I have. )

Now, I know that, with bunting, the blue goes on the bottom, but what about rosettes? I'm using wired craft ribbon to do these sort of pleated rosettes. When I do it with the red on the inside, it looks French to me. I mean, I don't have anything against France (they _remain_ our ally) but that's not what I want. The blue in the middle looks right to me but it doesn't fit with what you do for fans and bunting.

Also, do you think that three 2 and 1/4" wide ribbons are suitable in the absence of proper bunting?

TIA

2. CultureGeek

CultureGeek Member

Correction: with bunting, blue goes at the top, correct?

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

It'd have to be a 1930s flag b/c my costume will involve a 1930s vintage dress and I do not have time to find or make one.

48 star flags are available from many flag dealers, although it might be hard to get one by Wednesday!

with bunting, blue goes at the top, correct?

Yes. Believe it or not, this is covered in the flag code (section 8(d)):

"Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general."

When I do [a rosette] with the red on the inside, it looks French to me. . . . The blue in the middle looks right to me but it doesn't fit with what you do for fans and bunting.

I don't think that there's anything in the code about rosettes. It does sound like blue on the outside would be consistent with what it says about bunting. Apropos of whatever, the British air force roundel is blue outside/white/red center, while the French one is red outside/white/blue center.

Peter Ansoff

4. maybe you could make one like Peter said like the 'french' colors... red outer white middle and blue center and the put a white 5 pointed star in the middle of the blue??

or how about red outer and blue right next to it in midle and the 5 pointed white star in the middle??
    theres nothing in the flag code about rosettes and so no right or wrong answr... but i recken the star will make it look more anmerican since sneither british or french flags feature stars

5. CultureGeek

CultureGeek Member

Hmm, thanks. I suspected there might not be anything.

Yeah, I spotted the 48 star flag but it's way too late. Ah, well, I'll probably need to carry my parasol anyway. The hat isn't working out very well and I am seriously melanin-challenged, having been pretty heliophobic since I was about 18.

Hmm, I wonder why the red center one seems French to me, since the French one has a blue center. Shows how much I know. I know how to fold the flag but Girl Scouts was a long time ago. They never taught me to fold a French flag, though. How far back does the f

It's a tough one. I actually started with the red center because I had the bunting order backwards and I was looking at the bottom rather than the top (i.e. had it backwards twice and ended up with the right order. Here's to getting an even number of things wrong). All the rosettes I found online had the colors in wedges going around them. At least I'm not the only one who was confused by the problem.

6. CultureGeek

CultureGeek Member

D'oh! "How far back does the flag code go?" was the question. Sorry about that. I haven't figured out how to do a post with a preview and get it to go through properly so I messed up the post.
    Anyhoo, thanks.