Rules governing use of the american flag on clothing & hats

Discussion in 'US Flags on Uniforms and Clothing' started by EmailPoster, Jun 6, 2006.

1. EmailPoster

EmailPoster New Member

Would you be able to direct me to any rules or regulations pertaining to the placement of embroidered or silk...

2. jproffitt10

jproffitt10 Guest

Jim,

There are two portions of the United States Flag Code which address your question. They are Sections 8(i) and 8(j) respectively:

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown. (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

It is appropriate to place the flag on a hat and you are correct, the union should always be to its own right (the viewers' left). Whether the flag is on the left or right side of the cap does not matter. Just like law enforcement and fire agencies around the nation--some place patches on the left shoulder and some on the right, so it's up to you. Thanks.

3. figmo124

figmo124 New Member

Is there any distinction between a flag and a replica? My friend says the only "real" flag is embroidered stars and stitched stripes. Printed flags are replicas and not subject to US Flag code for handling.

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

My friend says the only "real" flag is embroidered stars and stitched stripes. Printed flags are replicas and not subject to US Flag code for handling.

I'm afraid that your friend is wrong. The flag is defined by what it looks like, not what it's made of. An American flag is an American flag, whether it's printed, sewn or painted.

There is an interesting issue concerning representations of the flag on materials other than cloth. For example, the flag code refers to flag lapel pins as "replicas." It seems to me that, in general, common sense should prevail. Both actual flags and "replicas" should be treated with respect because they are symbols of our nation. The flag code is a set of guidelines, not some kind of holy writ.

Peter Ansoff

5. Marc Leepson

Marc Leepson New Member

6. thorpu

thorpu New Member

my question is this. I wear a vest when riding for and with the V.F.W. riders.
    I have a Flag patch just above the left pocket. May a patch honoring a fellow veteran (now deceased) be sew above the U.S. Flag patch?

7. PRGringo

PRGringo New Member

My interpretation of the flag code would be that the US flag should be above any other.

Interesting commentary on the Washington Post website on your July article, Mark. There are many trolls out there who just seem to want to annoy people by saying things intended to insult the flag. They know their speech is protected but they do not seem to be able to make the mental connection between the men and women who died and defended that flag to establish and preserve that freedom.

It is their right to state their POV but it is also my right to think they are clueless idiots.

8. skippy1607

skippy1607 New Member

If your on a fire dept. witch arm does the flag go on?

9. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Skippy!

If your on a fire dept. witch arm does the flag go on?

For non-military organizations, there is no standard rule about this. Some organizations put it on the right sleeve and some on the left -- either one is OK. In the military, the Army puts the patch on the right sleeve, and the other services put it on the left.

Peter Ansoff

10. Marc Leepson

Marc Leepson New Member

If the flag is on the right sleeve, it should go in the "reverse field" position.

11. abel

abel New Member

is it approicate to wear the Flag patch on the back of my leather vest?

12. Adam Cappps

Adam Cappps New Member

No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Straight from the flag code. There are alot of rules about what else can be displayed with the flag and how it should look. visit this site for a more in depth version of the flag code. USHistory.org has alot of good information.

Flag Code

13. vanman

vanman New Member

While watching NFL football over the weekend I noticed several team sweatshirts with an American Flag patch on the front of the sweatshirts. I question the placement of the flag. I thought the canton had to be on the viewers left. The ones I observed had the canton on the upper right as I saw it on TV. What is the proper placement? Thanks. Mike Greene:eek:

14. ggymclothing

ggymclothing New Member

american flag pants Here you can find more important information and bodybuilding clothing item.