Salute Every US Flag in Parade?

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by EmailPoster, Jun 6, 2006.

1. EmailPoster

EmailPoster New Member

Salute Every flag in parade...

2. sarahw

sarahw Guest

Dick,

The flag code only says the following about flags in parades:

It goes on to say that flags should not be attached to floats unless they are on staffs, and should not be draped over cars. There is no specific mention of how or when you should salute flags in a parade.

That said, common sense should dictate. We don't salute every flag we see driving down the street, and it's not practical to salute every flag in a parade. Do salute, however, when the national anthem is being played.

Thanks for asking!

Sarah

3. simota76

simota76 New Member

Ma'am, I am not a man to argue unless I have a good reason, but I must disagree with you, flag code specificly says "During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present except those in uniform should face the flag and stand at attention with the right hand over the heart. Those present in uniform should render the military salute. When not in uniform, men should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Aliens should stand at attention. The salute to the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes."

I know this doesn't reflect the most current addition of Vetrans saluting but it states very clearly, when our nations colors pass you render honor. So if you don't want to be standing up through the whole parade like I did this fourth of JUly, people need to be educated. Now I will concede that this could or could not apply to smaller flags or larger non carried flags. My personal choice is any flag that is carried by a color guard requires honors rendered. And I also salute any large flags.

4. Greengo

Greengo New Member

"HERE, HERE"!!!:D

Well said. I always honor the flag when possible.!!!;)

Greengo

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Active Member

Saluting EVERY American Flag in a parade can be a bit MUCH, but it's worth it. :D

On the other hand..... :rolleyes:

Imagine being IN the parade and trying to salute each and every one of the thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of those little hand-held American Flags that all the parade watchers are waving from BOTH sides of the street !!! :eek:

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.....

Robin Hickman :cool:

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

During World War II this question of saluting the flag was a serious matter. You could be accused of being a Nazi if your patriotism was questioned. Another deep concern was "If I am in a movie theater and the flag is shown on the screen, do I stand up and salute?" The patriotic guidance at the time was quite logical and reasonable, in that you do not salute the projected image, and you only need to salute the first flag in a parade.
    Nick

7. Marebear_56

Marebear_56 New Member

Very interesting thread! Some of you seem to be Veterans and if you recall there is a difference between a "flag" and the "colors."

The first being just that, a flag - the one that is on flagpoles outside buildings and carried throughout parades. The latter being a flag with the gold fringe on it (ergo, colors) - carried by color guards and posted at gatherings.

The "flag" is saluted when it is raised or lowered on a flagpole only. The "colors," however, are saluted six paces before to six paces after it passes you or you it.

Our Great Nation being a free nation allows anyone to salute the flag whenever they desire, and I certainly would not discourage it at any time; though it could be tiring saluting every flag (that is not Colors) in a parade!

Mare