Schools and flying flags at half staff

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by KathyJB, May 11, 2011.

1. KathyJB

KathyJB New Member

I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem right that a school would have to ask permission of the Governor to fly their flag at half staff for a former student who lost their life in Afghanistan. My flag has been at half staff since I found out he passed away. This young man signed up after graduating. I read the rules that stated I was not under any law that denies me of flying my flag at half staff for this young man. Even if their was, I would do this in remembrance of him.

2. flagnazi

flagnazi Member

KathyJB: Have to agree with you. The only thing is that it will be confusing to some who see and then they wonder what dignitary died. I think I show my age at times because I was used to only the President calling half staff and then when Governors were allowed for Public Servants such as fire and police I then would be confused because my first thought was always what Gov't dignitary died. The US Flag Code is essentially only a guide, you cannot be prosecuted for doing something not in the guide. I applaud your wish to honor anyone who has given the ultimate sacrifice for our beliefs and in the service of our country! Let your conscience be your guide. Mike

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, KathyJB!

As Mike pointed out, there is no rule that prevents you from flying your own flag at half staff. (There's also no rule that says you must do so -- the presidental proclamations on the subject are usually worded to to direct government entities to half-staff their flags, and urge others to follow suit.)

The situation with the school may be just a bit different. Again, there is no law that says that they have to get the Governor's permission. Howerer, if it's a public school there may be some sort of local regulation on the subject. It's also possible that the school administration is misinterpreting a recent change to the flag code that allows state governors to direct half-staffing for service members. The revision says that governors can so direct, but doesn't say that you need the governor's permission to do so on your own.

Peter Ansoff

4. Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner New Member

T^he school can always have the option of lowering a school flag.