See anything odd about this flag?

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by NAVA1974, Sep 26, 2011.

1. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I purchased this 42-star flag recently:

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland
  2. csaanv

csaanv Member

It has 42 stars?
  3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Does it? :confused:

Check the photo again. Not all rows have the same number of stars. :eek:

Nick A
  4. csaanv

csaanv Member

What I meant first time it has 43 stars.
  5. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Exactly. It was sold on eBay as a 42-star flag and, apparently, not many people noticed it is an ultra-rare 43 star flag. The stripes are sewn wool bunting, and the canton of 43 stars appears clamp-dyed or screened. The heading and grommets are also correct for the 1890 time frame.

Nick A
  6. AmericaHurrah

AmericaHurrah Member

Nice grab. I saw it and knew it to be un unusual construction for a 42, and thought it interesting, but I didn't count. Phooey on me for flunking Flag 101!

7. csaanv

csaanv Member

Great deal Nick! Post pitures when you can.
  8. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

A lot of eBay sellers would flunk Flag 101 as well.:D

I believe I have contacted about 3 dozen eBay sellers over the last decade because they had mis-counted the stars on their flags. By far, the most commonly misrepresented flags are the small silk 39-star flags. The majority are called "Civil War Period 36-star flags" until I send them a message "How many stars are in rows 2, 3, and 5?" Then I get a sheepish reply...:eek: and they change the listing.

Next come the "48 star flags" that actually have only 46 stars (one had 44!) These sellers are grateful to learn their flag is older and more desirable than they thought.:)

On this "42 star flag" I recounted the stars a dozen times, and then concluded that this was an opportunity to actually benefit from the error. So I shut my mouth and bid quietly.:D

I'll be photographing that flag and posting it on in the future.

Nick A
    Columbia MD
  9. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Active Member

From that particular angle, ALL of the stars appear to be upside-down. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
  10. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

11. american_flag_uk

american_flag_uk Moderator

Gahhh darn it Robin, You got there 1st!.. To the orginal question, before I scrolled down, I looked at it, and 1st did I spot the stars were upside down, before I thought of counting them!

Nice find Nick!
  12. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Active Member

OMG !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Amanda's ALIVE !!! :D
  13. coasterville

coasterville Member

Seconded, I was honestly worried.

Since I last heard from her I have acquired a fully sewn example of the union jack. (as opposed to dyed/printed).