September 11

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by Bernie_B, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Bernie_B

Bernie_B New Member

Is it proper flag etiquette to fly the falg at half staff on 9/ 11?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, Bernie!

Is it proper flag etiquette to fly the falg at half staff on 9/ 11?

Yes. Congress passed a law in December 2001 (PL 107-89) that designated September 11 as Patriot Day. The law directed the President to issue a proclamation each year, stating the the flag should be half-staffed on this day. President Bush issued these proclamations each year after that; the latest was on September 8, 2008. Presumably, President Obama will issue the 2009 proclamation within the next week or two.

Peter Ansoff

3. Bernie_B

Bernie_B New Member

Thnaks Peter - I appreciate your help !

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Bernie B ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !!!

In case you (or anyone else) have a Flag that is affixed to its pole and can't be lowered to the "half-staff" position, there is an alternative method to pay your respects.

If your Flag can NOT be lowered to "half-staff" you may attach a black "mourning bow" or "mourning ribbon/streamer" to the top (or finial) of the Flag's pole.

Thank You for brining your Flag-related question to our Forums !

Robin Hickman

5. LTropical

LTropical New Member

I may be jumping the gun but...It seems that the US Government will not be observing Patriots Day and flying the Colors at half-staff this year. I'm thinking because:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim Friday, September 4, through Sunday, September 6, as National Days of Prayer and Remembrance. I ask that the people of the United States, each in their own way, honor the victims of September 11, 2001, and their families through prayer, memorial services, the ringing of bells, and evening candlelight remembrance vigils. I invite the people of the world to share in this solemn commemoration.

I found this at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press...National-Days-of-Prayer-and-Remembrance-2009/

6. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

may be jumping the gun but

Yes, you're jumping the gun. The president issued a proclamation on 10 September concerning obervance of Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance, 2009. You can read it here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press...-and-National-Day-of-Remembrance-and-Service/

The key paragraph reads:

"I call upon all departments, agencies, and instrumentalities of the United States to display the flag of the United States at half-staff on Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance in honor of the individuals who lost their lives as a result of the terrorist attacks against the United States that occurred on September 11, 2001. I invite the Governors of the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and interested organizations and individuals to join in this observance. I call upon the people of the United States to participate in community service in honor of those our Nation lost, to observe this day with other ceremonies and activities, including remembrance services, and to observe a moment of silence beginning at 8:46 a.m. eastern daylight time to honor the innocent victims who perished as a result of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001."

Peter Ansoff