Signing an American Flag

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by EmailPoster, Jun 6, 2006.

1. EmailPoster

EmailPoster New Member

signing an American Flag....

2. jproffitt10

jproffitt10 Guest

Chris,

No one has the authority to sign the United States flag. You are correct in feeling that it just isn't quite right. Writing on the American flag is clearly a desecration of the flag no matter how well intended. For all intents and purposes any flag given as a gift has already been signed--by the hundreds of thousands of soldiers and citizens who have given their lives and their very futures for it, beginning with the American revolution and continuing to this very day in Iraq, Afghanistan and around the world.

3. shawnd1968

shawnd1968 New Member

My question is about fabric that resembles a flag NOT an actual flag. I would never do anything to desecrate our flag.

4. csaanv

csaanv Member

If the signature could be on the hoist header I wouldn't have any problem with that.

5. flagnazi

flagnazi New Member

With reference to signing the flag. Might want to check Flag Code,Chapter 1, Section 8(g), "The flag shouldl never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature." You may wish to review this and make your own decision.

6. csaanv

csaanv Member

I believe the code was referring to the actual flag field, not the header which grommets are "attached to it and flag makers often stamped their logo and flag size on to.

7. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

But then again, "they" didn't include "signature", "sign", or "autograph" in that paragraph. But..... on the other hand, at least "they" were wise enough to offer the instruction as a "should"... :rolleyes:

QUOTE : "The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature."

I would think that if one were to "sign", affix his/her "signature", or "autograph" an American Flag, the BEST place to do so would be on the "header" ("Head Strip", "Hoist", etc.) as that is NOT part of the Flag and is not included (nor mentioned) in the "given" dimensions of the Flag.

Robin (Where Do I Sign?) Hickman :D
    Eugene, Oregon, USA