sleeved indoor flag, piece missing?

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by shrubber, Jun 17, 2010.

1. shrubber

shrubber New Member

Two questions.
    I have an old ( 1954 ) acetate indoor colors flag. It is flannel lined sleeved. There is a small ( quarter size ) hole on the top of the sleeve where I assume there was some device, ( Hook of some sort, leather tab ) to afix to a flag pole. Can anyone describe what that device might have been? Or how it was attached to the pole?
    Also, the flag has a 7' gold cord with tassels. What is the proper way to knot or tie the cord to the pole?

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Shrubber, Welcome and thanks for posting! The parade flags that I have or seen have a small leather tab with a slit for a screw that is sewn into the inner liner of the sleeve. A small screw would be attached to the flag pole and the leather tab would fit onto the screw to hole the flag in place within the pole sleeve. Is that what you are talking about?

3. shrubber

shrubber New Member

Yes,
    But the hole on the sleeve is on the outside ( furthest from the body of the flag ) There is no indication of a tab, or torn thread on the inside ( adjacent to the body of the flag )
    where I thought it would be.
    It just seems odd.

4. coasterville

coasterville Member

Without being able to see the flag in question, are there holes at both the top and bottom of the flag, on the side of the pole sleve away from the body of the flag. Just a thought that if so it might be designed to be able to be displayed both via the sleve and through the holes (assuming the holes have grommets or something similar)

Or is there only one hole at the top, that would be weird if there is nothing hiding down inside the sleve (like a leather tab as has been mentioned) Could it have been intended to run the staff through the sleeve, but then secure it using the hole on the outside, that just doesn't seem to make sense.

Mighgt you be able to post a photo?