Solution for different sized flags.

Discussion in 'Flag Poles' started by wild-bill, Feb 6, 2011.

1. wild-bill

wild-bill Member

I have some 2x3 and 3x5 size flags. It became a hassle to move the bottom snap hook every time I changed sizes. So I made a small weight out of 1/2" PVC and caps. The ran a plastic tie through the snap hook and around the pole. A smaller tie was used to fasten the weight to the hook-you can't see the eyebolt on top. Only one hook is attached to the halyard. The otheris held down by the weight. The first one I made was 3/4 PVC and had sand in it. But it was too heavy. The flag was "hugging" the pole too tight-not good when the wind was blowing from north-south and the pulley is on the north side. The smaller weight has no sand in it. The pipe itself is heavy enough. A small drain hole was drilled in it in case water gets in.

[​IMG]

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Neat idea! This is similar to the system that's used on the huge flags flown at car dealerships and such.

My solution to this problem was to rig the halyards "Navy style." Instead of being a complete loop, the halyard has the clips on each end, so that the flag itself completes the loop. It's possible to "lose" the upper clip if it goes shooting up the pole, but this is not a problem for me because it's pretty easy to unstep a pole and retrieve the clip. (This hasn't happend to me in the 4 years that I've had the poles. I also developed a standard routine for bending and unbending the flags that reduces the risk.)

One of my pet peeves about flag display is when the spacing of the clips is too short compared to the length of the flag's hoist. It looks sloppy, and sends a message that the user doesn't really care.

Peter Ansoff

3. wild-bill

wild-bill Member

Hi Peter. That's where I got the idea from. I may try the Navy style halyard. Are you going to fly your Canada flag on Canada's Flag day Feb 15? I ordered one on Ebay last week-should be here before then.

4. Peter Ansoff

Are you going to fly your Canada flag on Canada's Flag day Feb 15?

Yes, absolutely! Also, Feb. 24th is Mexican flag day -- we'll be flying their flag then.

Peter A.

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Uh, Oh . . . . . :eek:

Seems like we might be needing some kind of a "Calendar" Forum for different "flag-flying" days!!! :D

So far, I think I might be "OK". Two of my recent acquisitions are a Canada National Flag (2-15-11) and a Mexico National Flag (2-24-11).

But today is LINCOLN's Birthday! :eek: :eek:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

6. wild-bill

wild-bill Member

Robin, here's a site for holidays around the world. When you see a flag, that's a Flag Day for that nation.

Flag Days Of The World

7. Peter Ansoff

But today is LINCOLN's Birthday!

Yes, and it was also Amazon River Discovery Day in Ecuador! We flew the Ecuador and Illinois flags.

Seems like we might be needing some kind of a "Calendar" Forum for different "flag-flying" days!!!

I maintain a spreadsheet, and update it whenever I add a new flag to my inventory. For example, I just got Guam and Lichtenstein flags for my birthday, so I added the holidays for those entities.

On days for which there is no holiday to observe, I fill in with interesting combinations of flags. Today I'm flying a set that show the original development of the US flag: The British pre-1800 red ensign, the Continental Colors and a 13-star stars-and-stripes.

Peter Ansoff

8. Robin Hickman

Lemme see here.....

Monday, February 14th, is St. Valentine's Day and we ALL know what THAT means (flaggily speaking, of course!)!!! :eek:

OREGON Statehood in 1859 and ARIZONA Statehood in 1912 !!! :D

Luckily, I've got BOTH of those State flags !!! :D :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

9. wild-bill

wild-bill Member

I've got the AZ flag, so it will be flying tomorrow. Actually, I put it up about and hour ago 'cause i'll be in a hurry to get to work in the morning.

10. Robin Hickman

11. wild-bill

wild-bill Member

Nice Robin.

12. Robin Hickman

I have my new Canadian National (Maple Leaf) Flag mounted on an 8' pole and I was all set to post it out in front of my house (along with my American Flag) at first light this morning. (It's a very nice sewn nylon flag.)

BUT . . . . . :eek:

It's raining "cats & dogs" and the wind is really blowing around here! The local weather reports say that it's going to be very windy and rainy ALL day and into this evening!

I am SO disappointed! :(

Robin "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

13. emazingli

emazingli New Member

Such a great idea wild-bill! I am trying to do your idea. Wish me luck. :D

14. wild-bill

wild-bill Member

Yes it works well. You don't need much weight at all. About 40 grams is enough for a 2X3 and 60g is good for 3X5 flag. If the weight is too heavy, the flag will "hug" the pole too tight(looks bad) and it will probably shorten the life of the flag.