Spanish Armada 1588

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by Union Jack, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

After a good afternoon of downing 'grog' in the Minerva pub in Plymouth with some old shipmates we strolled (tottered) by the quayside of old Plymouth and discussed the meaning of our involvement and our participation in the history of this part of the Old World. We lamented on the demise of the Royal Navy, due to bloody politicians, but were buoyed by the history that had gone before us. Here we looked out on the natural harbour that had seen Drakes fleet destroy the Armada. Here we stood, sharing a flask of rum, and understood the desperate days of the Nazi threat and to understand what it is to have the mentality of being an island nation. Coming back to the Spanish Armada and its failed attempt to break England saw it circumnavigate Britain to return to Spain but alas for many of the ships to be dash upon the jagged rocks off the coasts of Scotland and Ireland. My mother who was born in County Mayo, Ireland has cousins named Costello whom were survivors of this mighty Spanish Armada. So here we are us retired Matelots a bit worse for wear through drink but all as one with our respect for the mighty and unforgiving cruel sea.

FlagAdvocate likes this.
  2. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

Silly me what I should have added to my initial thread was its nice to see a Spanish flag being flown from a Spanish restaurant. The Spanish flag is one of my al, time favourites. I like the formal one with the Spanish Coat of Arms which I like to hoist now and then but also the Spanish flag with the black bull. Classic colours.

Uj

FlagAdvocate likes this.
  3. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Uj...you are a gifted writer. Your imagery had me standing with you as you described scene after scene, including thoughts of your mother's cousins with a Spanish last name, and the Spanish flag flown from a Spanish restaurant. Well done.

4. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

Thanks FA. I always think we should tread in our forefathers footsteps to understand our todays.

UJ

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

…..
    My Mother always told me (a long, long, LONG time ago) that the dark-haired descendants of the Spanish Armada ships that wrecked on Ireland's rocky shores, were referred to as "Black Irish".

I have no idea if that is true or not, but my Mother said it and I was young so I believed her.

Robin

…..

6. Union Jack

Union Jack Member

Black Irish. Yes it's a definite term and one I know very well. Looking at old black and white photos of my mother when she was young you would swear she was a señorita.
    UJ