Speed for Public Speaking Class

Discussion in 'American Flag Disposal' started by jlsmith1003, Apr 13, 2007.

1. jlsmith1003

jlsmith1003 Guest

I am currently enrolled in college and trying to obtain research on the proper method of burning a flag. I would like to enlighten my audience that flag burning isn't bad if done for the right reasons which is when it gets old and worn. If there is anyone out there that has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

2. well it is 1st of all kinder t call it flag 'retirement' rather tan 'flag burning' !!

in the flag code there is nothing to say for the method of retiring a flag on ly that it should be performed on flags that are no longer fit to fly or display.

i have seen and heard several methods of going about retiring a flag
    generally it is accepted to burn stripes first and then the stars.

some people do this by cutting the canton (star section) from the rest of the flag and then perhaps cutting each stripe apart then burning each piece of fabric one at a time on a fire that has been lit especially for the purpose of retiring the flag. it is deemed disrespectful to retire the flag on fire that is there to burn other things aswell (apart from of course the firewood!)

other versions have included retiring the flag in a metal can- this is probably the best way to retire a nylon flag or flag made from cheap polyester as these give off alot of black smoke and can also have pieces come up out of the flames. best also to retire these by folding the flag 1st- in a square not a triangle. perhaps to still remve the canton from the stripes and retire it seperatly from the rest.

things that can also be done is to sa the pledge of alliegence sing patriotic songs kiss the canton area of the flag

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Speed for Public Speaking - Beg to Differ

The flag code specifically states that burning is the preferred method for disposing of worn flags: "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem of display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning." (The United States Flag Code)

And I, too, had heard the rumor that you should separate the canton from the field of stripes so that "you would not burn the flag." This is incorrect. Since the Flag Code advises you to burn worn flags, there is no dishonor in leaving the honored flag intact as you consign it to the flames.
    Nick Artimovich

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

5. when i burned some US flags i did not cut them in anyway... i couldent bare to do it! i couldent cut it apart! so when i did it i made a fire then fed the flag into it the striped end 1st workin the way up.