Star Orientation

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by CapeFearPirate, May 14, 2013.

1. I know this is getting into a bit of detail but I am stumped for an explanation and thought I would ask here.

Most stars are placed point up especially on everything after 1912. I have come across a star pattern that has me puzzled. There is a very rare star pattern for a 25 star flag called a Sea Ensign. I assume it is for Navy vessels. The 25 star flag existed less than a year and I believe the normal star field layout was a 5 x 5 square.

Here is a drawing of the 25 star sea ensign.

[​IMG]

I am accepting that this flag probably existed but have no confirmation of that.

Looking at the design, I am puzzled about the way the middle star is oriented at an angle. Is there any reason the star would be oriented like that on purpose?

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi CapeFearPirate,
    Is this your next sewing project? Concerning the star orientation, I believe it was just a different age and how folks looked at things. Since the early 19th century was mostly pre-industrial, products were not mass produced perhaps they were not concern about getting things perfect and ordered but just functional. I really like that look, it is more organic.

independ.jpg

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

That's an interesting pattern, CFP! Where did you run across it? Also was the term "Sea Ensign" actually used in a historical reference or some such thing?

Best ,

Peter A.

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

We need to ask Dave Martucci where he found a flag of that pattern. He shows that as the example for 25 star flags here: Official United States Flags

Nick Artimovich
    Columbia Maryland

5. Thanks for the replies! I am indeed making it as my next project. I will post a picture of the finished project on the General Discussion area. I decided to make it more symmetrical, a pet peeve on mine, I guess. I really appreciate the information everyone shares here!