Stars Upside Down on a Flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by DaGooseMon, Jan 16, 2008.

1. DaGooseMon

DaGooseMon New Member

I have a question hopefully someone here can answer. I got this picture from Hillary Clintons website and as you can see the stars are upside down, 2 points up, one point down.

[​IMG]

Some one has told me "The Stars are not upside down, this is protocol for suspending the flag" but I don't believe that is correct.

Is this flag improper? Or am I just way off base here?

Thanks.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, DGM! Welcome!

I got this picture from Hillary Clintons website and as you can see the stars are upside down, 2 points up, one point down.

It sure looks that way, doesn't it? Could you tell from the web site where and when the photo was taken? It would be interesting to actually try to track down the flag and where it came from.

Some one has told me "The Stars are not upside down, this is protocol for suspending the flag" but I don't believe that is correct

You are right -- the stars are upside down! The orientation of the stars with respect to the flag itself has nothing to do with the protocol for suspending it. (It is suspended correctly, by the way -- the union is to the viewer's left.)

Is this flag improper?

Well, that depends. The legal definition of the flag in Title 4 USC doesn't say anything about the orientation or arrangement of the stars -- it doesn't even specify how many points they have. The Presidental Executive Order that gives the detailed specifications for the flag says that the points should face up. However, this is not a law -- it's just the specifications for flags used by the executive branch of the government. Most flag manufacturers follow the EO, more or less, but they're not required to do so unless they're selling the flags to the government.

As an interesting piece of trivia, take a careful look at a photo of the original "Star Spangled Banner," which is now at the Smithsonian in Washington DC.

[​IMG]

Its stars are oriented in a back-and-forth pattern from row to row -- the points in the top row are slightly canted toward the fly, the second row toward the hoist, and so on. Some people refer to them as "dancing stars." Most replicas of the SSB have stars with the points up, which is historically wrong.

Great catch -- thanks for posting this!

Peter Ansoff

3. DaGooseMon

DaGooseMon New Member

Thanks for the info Pete.

And thanks for the welcome.

4. DaGooseMon

DaGooseMon New Member

Sorry Pete, I missed your first question.

The pictures were taken in New Hampshire. Here's a link to it.

http://www.hillaryclinton.com/blog/view/?id=21760

I'm not sure if that is a flag the campaign hung or if it belonged to the hall they were in.

5. wow that flag at the top i certainly interesting! i havent seen oke that before

6. DaGooseMon

DaGooseMon New Member

I have learned that this rally took place in a building at the Manchester Air Port in New Hampshire. I'm trying to contact someone there to find out exactly what building and if that flag is theirs or part of the campaign. I'll post any further information I find out about it.

7. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

wow that flag at the top i certainly interesting! i havent seen oke that before

I've actually seen other flags with upside down stars. I believe that it is a fallout from the manufacturing process. The union, including stars, is made as a unit and then sewn into the rest of the flag. Occasionally they get in the wrong way around.

Here is another example of a manufacturing defect, also taken from Clinton's web site:

[​IMG]

Here, the field of stars is offset toward the fly, so the there is too much blue space on one side and not enough on the other. (This flag was on the side of a barn in Iowa).​

Our local supermarket has a flag hanging on the wall that has a similar defect, but in this case the star field is offset to toward the bottom of the union.

Peter Ansoff

8. swiftfox

swiftfox New Member

9. Bobsizz_99

Bobsizz_99 New Member

Look at the elephant republican logo. Its stars are inverted too. This is no mistake Hillary and Bush and many more are very evil. Google Esoteric Agenda and watch the video. God Help us all

10. Flaguser

Flaguser New Member

Wait, wait, don't tell me -- this has something to do with the Knights Templar, right? And it's predicted on the back of the Declaration of Independence in invisible ink. By aliens! You're right, we're all doomed . . . .

11. Bobsizz_99

Bobsizz_99 New Member

You are just very ignorant. Do some reaserch for yourself. Watch that video or Google Clinton CIA drugs. You will see this is far bigger than you can even to begin to comprehend. All I say is watch Esoteric Agenda on you tube before you make another comment. It is far stranger than fiction but true. Did you see the Republican logo is upside down too? You think someone just made a mistake do ya? Look into why they are upside down and that will lead you to the truth. Open YOUR EYES

12. Flaguser

Flaguser New Member

Ooh, youre right! If it's on You Tube it MUST be right! And those upside down stars are really scary. Im SURE they were caused by space aliens.

13. talking about flags that have come out wrong - how on earth did this one ever leave the factory?? dont they have quality control??

[​IMG]

14. PRGringo

PRGringo Member

I think this flag was intended to be suspended vertically, like a banner type flag.

As for the stars on the original Stars and Stripes, my theory is that one of the early ideas was for the stars to resemble a "new constellation", to symbolize the birth of America.

The only other excuse is that people simply preferred to place them that way. Certainly, there have been many one-of-a kind variations to the flag over the years and especially over the early years of the nation.

15. coasterville

coasterville Member

Speaking of the star spangled banner - I added one to my collection a short time ago. Mine came from Annin on Bulldog cotton. It has the "dancing stars"

See pic:
    [​IMG]

16. PRGringo

PRGringo Member

That is a nice flag. Some of the less expensive ones come with the stars aligned. Thanks for sahring.

17. mrsheel4

mrsheel4 New Member

Re: The US Flag and "Pirates of the Caribbean"

oh something else in flagmaster aswell - the flags in the news section notes a HALF WOODEN FLAG Lol!
    this flag has already been on this site and was that US flag at Hilary Clintons campaign thing with the upside down stars that nobody there obviously saw!
    frankly i think theyre all blind cos its VERY obvious to me!