State Flag & Thin Blue Line on Same Pole

Discussion in 'Other Flags' started by Jeff, May 5, 2017.

1. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Is it proper to have a State Flag & Thin Blue Line on Same Pole (absent of old Glory) ?

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Jeff!

I'm basing my opinion on the assumption that you live in the United States and that you have only one flagpole to fly your Flags on.

It would be "better" if you flew the U.S. Flag with your State's Flag or the "Thin Blue Line" Flag underneath it. If I remember correctly, I've seen two different types of "Thin Blue Line" Flags: One is based on the U.S. Flag with a blue stripe where the fourth white stripe would normally be, and the other is a black Flag with a blue stripe running horizontally across the middle of the Flag (I think this would probably more of a "mourning" type of Flag).

The U.S. "Flag Code" says that you "should" fly the U.S. Flag. The "operative" word here is "should" (as it is with almost ALL of the various sections, sub-sections, and paragraphs of the Flag Code).

If your "Thin Blue Line" Flag is the one based on the U.S. Flag, would you really want to fly it underneath your State's Flag, where people might get the mistaken impression that it is a U.S. Flag and that you are, in a sense, disrespecting it?

Having said that, let me add the advice I usually give people who ask me about whatever "different" Flags or Flag-flying arrangements they want to make. It's YOUR home, It's YOUR flagpole, and YOUR Flag(s), so it's YOUR right to fly YOUR Flag(s) however you want to fly it/them. Just remember some of your neighbors might not understand (or misinterpret) what Flags you're flying and why you're flying them. Their personal opinions (spoken or unspoken) might not necessarily agree with yours, so they might ask you, "Hey, Jeff! What's up with your Flag(s)?".

I suppose if your flagpole is tall enough, and your Flags are small enough, you could probably fly the U.S. Flag, State Flag, and "Thin Blue Line" Flag all at the same time. Of course, three Flags flying on one flagpole looks a little "funny".

Although I wouldn't recommend flying your two Flags together without a U.S. Flag, it's YOUR home, flagpole, and Flags...

Whatever you decide to do, Good Luck! Please post some pictures here and show us how it all turned out!

Thank You!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member