Steel Pole = Lighting Rod?

Discussion in 'Flag Poles' started by AFSarge, Jul 7, 2017.

?

Steel Pole = Lighting Rod?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AFSarge

AFSarge New Member

Hello, I have a 36' x 4" steel drilling pipe that is used out in the oil field. I would like to cut it down to be a 20' flag pole with 5-6 feet in the ground. I live in town and the city will not let me put it close to the street so it has to be next to the house.

My question is simple will it attract lighting and become a large lighting rod. Thank you for your help.

2. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Hello AFSarge...The purpose of a lightning rod is to safely discharge lightning current directly to the ground. They are used to protect structures and their occupants from suffering the consequences of a lightning strike. If you are concerned that a steel flag pole near your house will increase the chances of a lightning strike, I am not aware of any evidence to support that, but why not contact the National Weather Service and ask the experts. If you learn more about this issue from the NWS or other experts, please return to this forum and share with us. Back in 2009 there was a brief discussion of this topic on this forum at www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/adequate-lightning-protection.4306/

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  3. AFSarge

AFSarge New Member

FlagAdvocate, thank you for your responds. I read the other thread before but I like your idea of asking the NWS. Thanks again

4. AFSarge

AFSarge New Member

So, someone from the weather agency got back with me, he said as long as you plant the pole in dirt, not all cement and sand the end in the ground so it is bare metal to the ground I should be fine. He also said not to plant to close to the house or tree, that part kinds of bite cause I have to put my pole three feet from the front of the house.