Strange colors

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by brews4me, Mar 11, 2015.

1. brews4me

brews4me New Member

Hi folks!

got a few gold fringe flags with sewn 48 stars (the stars are all thread and sewn radiating out from center).
    weird thing is both flags have burgundy color instead of the blue??

the small make box (is blue) is over sewn with the fringe but looks to start with AR???? and seems to be 6 characters??
    if the blue faded it sure did it evenly and on both flags and both sides??

flag has a pole seam and is about 45" x 72"

colors overall are faded some but the red is light red, the white is more of a creamy color, the gold is vibrant, and the blue is light burgundy??

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

---
    Hello, Brews4Me, and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

Are you "sure" about the "burgundy" color? Burgundy is usually considered a semi-dark shade of reddish-purple or "maroon".

All of the faded American Flags I've seen are usually various Light PASTEL shades of "pink" (instead of red), light "tan" or "cream" (instead of white), and "lilac", or "lavender", or a very light "violet" (instead of blue).

Check out these color samples (by name) on Color-ize : Alphabetical Color List A - Z :: Color-ize, Inc. { Graphic and Web Design : Storm Lake, Iowa

I hope this helps!

BTW : Do you have any pictures of your American Flags? That would REALLY help to ID your Flags!

I'm not getting any mental hints as to what the partially obscured "AR...." makers mark might be. Since they're 48-Star Flags they're pre-1959, and maybe as early as the Korean War, or WWII, or WWI. If I remember correctly, back during that era, both the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy made their own flags. So,perhaps the makers mark might be "ARMY QM", short for Army Quartermaster?

Thank you for bringing your "Flag Mystery" to our forum! I sure hope we can solve the mystery!!!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    ----

3. brews4me

brews4me New Member

[​IMG]
    the blue tag says something like (3 lines)

AR???? (some brand that's sewn over with the fringe attach)
    pat off
    fast color

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. brews4me

brews4me New Member

tag looks more to be:

AR?G?O (some brand that's sewn over with the fringe attach)

Reg US pat off
    Fast Color

(and I'm guessing at my best of the brand letters, only can see the very tips of the bottom of text)
    Don't know what fast color means, maybe that's the brand?

5. AmericaHurrah

AmericaHurrah Member

These are rayon and they have badly faded. Common I am afraid.

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, again, Brews4Me!

Thank you for posting the pictures!

Based on what I've learned over the years of being a member here, my best guess is that your Flag is an "ArtGlo" or "Art-Glo" Flag from the late 1950's.

If I'm remembering correctly, "Art-Glo" Flags were made of Rayon Taffeta, and were generally INDOOR Flags made with a pole hem (instead of a header with brass grommets), or three sets of ties to attach it to a pole. Flags made in the early 1950's usually had the Stars "sewn" onto the Flags rather than the later "embroidered" Stars.

I've seen pictures and/or descriptions that say "Federal ArtGlo", Federal Art-Glo", "Colonial ArtGlo", and "Colonial Art-Glo". The "Colonial" designated Flags were made by Annin & Company, but I'm not sure about the "Federal" designation. Perhaps there was a "Federal Flag Company" that was eventually bought out by Annin.

I was able to find a picture of a Flag Label searching for "Art-Glo", and it "kind of", "sort of", almost looks like yours. It's from an Annin Colonial ArtGlo Flag. The label shows "Colonial ArtGlo", "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.", and "Rayon-Fast Colors".

[​IMG]

I'm NOT a "Vintage Flag" or "Flag Textile" expert by any means, so I hope that I haven't somehow given you a "bum steer", and I hope I've been able to help you in some small way to solve your "mystery"!

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    ---

Attached Files:

7. brews4me

brews4me New Member

Looks pretty close to what I got!
    Seems the Rayon Fast Color means FAST COLOR FADE!!!!

Boy, these 2 flags both faded at the same rate and on both sides! ODD!!
    Guess indoor flags shouldn't be outside or in heavy UV!!

Are they collectible at all?
    Or does the Red, White and Burgundy make it worthless?

You folks ROCK!! Almost as good as Betsy Ross herself!