Street Flag Error

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by FlagAdvocate, Feb 7, 2017.

1. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

View attachment 1966
    Here is a street flag error I found in a neighboring borough. The U.S. flag should be to the observer's left instead of his/her right (US Flag Code § 7(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America..the flag's own right). It would be correct to an observer behind the flag display, but the prevailing view is from the street, i.e. there are far more observers traversing the street than the sidewalk. Trouble is, the concept of a flag display's prevailing view isn't found in the U.S. Flag Code, except perhaps for displaying a flag in a window so that the field of stars is upper left as seen from the street (US Flag Code § 7(i) When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed... with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, FlagAdovocate!

Usually, it's referred to as "the Flag's own right" or "the observer's (viewer's) left". I would say that there have been, are, and will be MANY MORE observers ON and ACROSS the street than on the sidewalk between the lamppost and the building. In the picture you provided (above), I believe that you are right and that the Flags' positions should be reversed.

On The "Other Hand"... Maybe... they placed them in that position because the writing on the other Flag/Banner could be easier read by those "many more" observers on and across the street? Maybe?

Robin

3. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Hello Robin,

Yes, I thought of that as a possibility when I took the photo, so I crossed the street and checked the back side of the banner and found that the banner's message was actually printed on both sides. Therefore, the banner could have been placed to the viewer's right in the photo and still be read correctly.

Thanks for commenting.
    Bill Jameson

4. Robin Hickman

Agreed, Bill !

Robin

5. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

View attachment 1980
    Same Borough, conflicting flag displays. On the left, US flag position is improper. On the right, US flag is in proper position (to its own right). Go figure!

6. Robin Hickman

GUFFAW !!!