Street Pole Flags In Avis Boro, Pa.

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by FlagAdvocate, May 20, 2017.

1. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

avis 1.jpg
    When riding through Avis Boro, Pa yesterday, I noticed these street pole flags are displayed differently from one side of the street to the other. Seems to me that no matter which side of the street they are displayed, the union (the blue field of stars) should be at the end of the staff furthest from the pole to which they are attached. Section 7(h) of the U.S. Flag Code advises that when displayed on a horizontal staff, the union should be at its peak. Before I speak to a Boro official about this, I would like input from forum members to make sure I'm not overlooking another explanation.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Robin Hickman likes this.
  2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I don't know if the Site will let me actually post this, but I'll give it a try anyway!

I believe that you are correct, Flag Advocate.

The only thing I can think of that might screw things up is if the Flags/Banners are two-sided and how the two different sides are orientated. I don't know if Avis Boro is using one or two Flags/Banners on each pole. If the two opposing sides are lined up back-to-back, then one side will have the blue Union at the pole's peak, but the other side won't. So, it would be kind of half-right, half-wrong. Your photo seems to indicate that that just might be the case. On the "Other Hand"... If the two opposing sides are arranged so that BOTH blue Unions are at the flagpole's peak, or if they are made of single, two-sided Flags/Banners, then THAT is the way it should be.

Any idea as how each Flags/Banners "other" side is orientated?

Either way, it's an interesting "catch"!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

admin likes this.
  3. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Robin...Thank you for asking how each banner's "other" side is oriented. I went back and took a photo looking in the opposite direction from the original photo I posted above. The opposing sides are lined up back to back so that one side has the blue Union at the staff's peak but the other side doesn't.
    Avis 2.jpg

Curious, I went online and found several flag and banner companies which offer these street pole banners with the US flag design. FlagandBanner.com advertises this banner which appears to be very similar to the banners in Avis, Pa. What is striking about their banner is that in the description below, they say it is double sided so the blue field is always on the left side!
    Flag Banner.jpg

Apparently FlagandBanner.com is aware of one section of the US Flag Code but not the section which actually applies to this method of display. In light of your input Robin, and the discovery that these banners were deliberately made that way, I have decided to not approach the Avis Boro officials about the concern I originally posted.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017