symbolisim of the colors

Discussion in 'American Flag History' started by EmailPoster, Jun 6, 2006.

1. EmailPoster

EmailPoster New Member

source which i obtain the symbolisim of the colors of the American flag...

2. ArmyWife

ArmyWife Guest

As you prepare for your presentation, I suggest accessing the following websites: Betsy Ross Homepage (hosted by the Independence Hall Association), www.usa-flag-site.org, Founding Fathers,

According to www.usa-flag-site.org, "Today the flag consists of thirteen horizontal stripes, seven red alternating with 6 white. The stripes represent the original 13 colonies, the stars represent the 50 states of the Union. The colors of the flag are symbolic as well: Red symbolizes Hardiness and Valor, White symbolizes Purity and Innocence and Blue represents Vigilance, Perseverance and Justice." USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America confirms that statement, ""The colors of the pales (the vertical stripes) are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue, the color of the Chief (the broad band above the stripes) signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice."

Best of luck to you as you prepare for your presentation!

3. ARyankee

ARyankee Guest

The US Flag was adopted without any designation of meaning on the colors. No official recognition for symbolism of the colors of the US Flag have been adopted. The color representations as described are actually for the colors of the emblem found on the obverse of the Great Seal of the United States. More detail: The colors red, white, and blue did not have meanings for the Stars and Stripes when it was adopted in 1777. However, the colors in the Great Seal did have specific meanings. Charles Thompson, Secretary of the Continental Congress, reporting to Congress on the Seal, stated:"The colors of the pales (the vertical stripes) are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue, the color of the Chief (the broad band above the stripes) signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice."

Simply because a common belief exists does not make the belief true...

Peace.

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Charles Thompson, Secretary of the Continental Congress, reporting to Congress on the Seal, stated:"The colors of the pales (the vertical stripes) are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue, the color of the Chief (the broad band above the stripes) signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice."

This explanation of the colors in the Seal of the United States appears frequently in books and web sites related to the flag. It was not actually written by Charles Thomson (sic), but by William Barton, who served as a consultant to the committee that designed the Seal. Thomson repeated the language in his offical report to Congress, but the original words are Barton's.

Or are they? It appears that Barton's statements about the meaning of the colors were drawn more-or-less directly from an 18th century book called "Elements of Heraldry," with which both Barton and Thomson were familiar. In other words, the meanings of the colors that Barton proposed were not particular to the American Seal (or flag) but were considered to be general heraldic usage.

Although Barton created the final version of the Seal, it was Thomson who came up with the basic design of the displayed eagle with the shield on its breast. For obvious reasons, the final report to to Congress carefully specified that it was an "American bald Eagle," as opposed to the imperial eagles used by European monarchs. It's thanks to Thomson the eagle became a universally-recognized symbol of the United States.

Peter Ansoff

5. timothy price

timothy price New Member

It was during the writing of the Constitution at the Convention of 1787, and following with the adoption of the Bill of Rights, that Franklin repeatedly stated his belief that, "unless American republicanism were founded upon virtue, it would fail". He was not alone in this belief. The flag represents to the common people and to their officials, a dedication to honorable behavior. Honor permits trust, and trust allow for freedom to thrive. Without honor there can be no freedom. That is why the 'Azure Blue" sky form the field that contains the stars. Please watch this video, and reclaim the Flag of the United States for the people.
    Old Glory - YouTube

6. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Active Member

Hello, Timothy Price, and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

Actually, Benjamin Franklin NEVER said that!

That exact quote, "unless American republicanism were founded upon virtue, it would fail", comes directly from H.W. Brands' book, "The First American: The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin" ©2000. You'll find it in Chapter 30, "To Sleep: 1787-1790", on page 703. Brands' quote, and the paragraph that contains it, has to do with Brands' interpretation of how Benjamin Franklin felt about the evils of Slavery and why it should be eradicated.

LINK : The First American: The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin - H.W. Brands - Google Books

To be clear: Benjamin Franklin NEVER said it, nor did he ever write it. Not in 1787 or any other time. The quote's original, and sole, source is H.W. Brands' book, "The First American: The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin" ©2000.

Thank You!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

7. timothy price

timothy price New Member

The exact quote is from H.W.Brand's book, The First American. However, to my mind it is entirely consistent with Franklin's evolved opinion.
    What is your point? You seem to be suggesting that Franklin cared nothing about ethics in America as a prerequisite for freedom to thrive. This
    ignorance is exactly why the United States is in the corrupted condition that it is in.

Regardless of what anyone might say regarding the "historic" meaning of the symbolism in the US Flag... the meanings that are stating in the song,
    Old Glory, are exactly what is needed to bring the people back to some honorable level of behavior.

I make no apologies about this.

tim

8. Robin Hickman

Hi, Folks!

For those of you who want to check out Mr. Timothy K. Price's YouTube video, "Old Glory", just a little reminder: when you see the "Betsy Ross" Flag hanging behind Mr. Price, please keep in mind the following provision in the United States Code, Title 4, Chapter 1 - "The Flag" (ie. the "Flag Code"), Section 7 "Position and Manner of Display", Sub-section (i):

(i) "When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the Flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street."

So as YOU, the observer would view the Flag hung on a wall (or in a window), the American Flag (ALL versions, including the "Betsy Ross" one) SHOULD be hung like THIS :

AmericanFlag-Wall&WindowDisplay.jpg

Please remember that the U.S. Flag Code is a set of "suggested" guidelines for CIVILIANS for the etiquette and usage protocols of the American Flag. As such, almost every passage contains the word "SHOULD".

Happy Flag Flying!

Robin Hickman
    ("Your Friendly neighborhood Flag Man")
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

9. Robin Hickman

Hi, Tim!

In your original posting, you wrote that:
    You made the assertion that Benjamin Franklin had repeatedly stated (said) that, AND you put it inside of quotation marks to show it as an actual quote by him.

MY point is that Benjamin Franklin NEVER said that. He NEVER wrote that. He NEVER stated that even once or "repeatedly". PERIOD.

I found the real source of the quote. I provided a LINK to a webpage with the actual quote. AND... The real quote was in the author's original context (Slavery).

It was not, and is not, my intention, conscious or sub-conscious, to imply anything other than that. And, NO, I did NOT seem to suggest anything other than that.

I sorry if you inferred something different than my original post stated.

Fair Enough?

Robin Hickman

10. Robin Hickman

[ NOTE : The Following Is From Tim K. Price's YouTube Page For His Song, "Old Glory", As Written By Him. ]

Published on Jan 8, 2014

It is time for the people to "Occupy the Flag of the United States". It was created for the people. The United States Corporation has stolen our flag and militarized it. We want it back.

The story of the creation of the Flag of the people of the United States, and the code of ethics which is contained within the flag. All US citizens enjoy freedom to the extent that we are honorable people and can be trusted, for without trust, there can be no freedom.

Hold all officials accountable to our flag's code of ethical behavior. We are honorable people and all who call themselves citizens of the US must uphold this pledge of honor. We want to be free again.

Old Glory
    by Timothy K. Price

Let me tell you a story,
    About our flag, old glory,
    The stars and stripes of red, white, and blue;
    And of its creation,
    ThIs symbol for our nation,
    And what it mean to folks like me and you.

They took the purity of white,
    The brightly shining light
    All the colors in the spirit of our souls
    For our banner of trust,
    Our pledge of good intention,
    For all who live beneath her to uphold.

They emblazoned her with red,
    Stripes which clearly said
    With a boisterous, cheering humor, "Have no fear.
    We are hardy souls of valor,
    Worthy our intent,
    To do good is the reason we are here".

We are many joined as one,
    Honest folk, and fair,
    For honor is the air that we breathe;
    So to represent our nation,
    Took a patch of blue sky
    And placed on it a starry constellation.

With a star for every state
    Each joining in its fate,
    A union which no one will leave,
    Finding happiness in freedom,
    This flag is our dream That none who live among us shall deceive.

Our flag is made from scraps,
    For frugal is our way.
    Simple living lets others simply live.
    We will shame you for your riches,
    Scorn your vanity,
    If greed should get the better of your soul.

There's salvation in compassion,
    Poverty in greed,
    So what we have we share with loving care.
    We understand hard work,
    Have no tolerance for cheats,
    Politician in their office should beware.

When we pledge our allegiance,
    We pledge a way of life,
    To be true to the meaning of our flag.
    We pledge a life of honor,
    To be truthful and fair,
    This is our way... here in the USA.

So this is my story,
    About our flag, old glory,
    The stars and strips of red, white, and blue.
    And of its creation,
    ThIs symbol of our nation,
    And what it mean to folks like me and you

Category: Music
    License: Standard YouTube License
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

11. Erich

Erich New Member

Why don't you talk about the symbolism behind the backwards flag patch and what a backwards American Flag means in terms of meaning and patch design. What about upside down? If it's displayed backwards doesn't it represent a backwards America then? Common sense anyone? Or are you going to go with the stiff wind story...
    Talk about the meaning of patches and design, maybe someone will wake up to the fact that you can get court marshaled for not wearing your flag backwards. Typical America I guess. Sad.