Texas Flag USA Flag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by EmailPoster, Jun 6, 2006.

1. EmailPoster

EmailPoster New Member

Is texas the only state flag that can be flown at the same level with the united states flag?...

2. gt2313a

gt2313a Guest

Texas & US flags

The US flag must be displayed higher than any state flags. In a line of flagpoles, the US flag should be on the center pole and higher than any state flags. If there are several flags on the same pole, the US flag must be at the top.

Even Texas law agrees that the US flag is the only one that can fly above Texas' banner.

US Code: TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > § 7 (e-f)
    Texas code: Title 11, Subtitle A, Chapter 2100, Subchapter A, § 3100.054

3. lookitup

lookitup Guest

Texas Flag

Texas is the only state that has been its own country. After texas fought and won its independnce from mexico in the battle of San Jacinto it became the republic of Texas. Mexico didnt want to give up so easy and that spawned the Mexican war which the US intervened in and won and annexed Texas from Mexico. Because if this it has the same honor as the American flag the colors also stand for the same thing

Postbattle

4. jhudson

jhudson Guest

According to Texas government code, Title 11, section3100.055
    "If the state flag and the flag of the United States are displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs at the same location: (1) the flags should be displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs of the same height;"
    The texas flag can be flown at the same height as the U.S. flag

5. Doodlebug

Doodlebug Guest

:) Yes it is. This is because Texas entered the United States under a treaty instead of annexation. This gives Texas the same priviledges on flag flying as the United States.

6. wow i didnt know that!! well ya learn something new every day!!!

i do know that the star and blue part of the texas flag is a small representation of 'the bonnie blue flag' - (complete blue field with 1 big white star in the middle of it)

7. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings all,

A few comments on the above posts:

"Is texas the only state flag that can be flown at the same level with the united states flag?..."

No, it is not. All state and territorial flags can properly be flown at the same level as the US flag. The flag code (section 7m) just says that the state flags cannot be above the US flag, or to its right.

Section 7e does say that the US flag "should at the center and at the highest point of a group when a number of flags of States or localities . . . are grouped and displayed from staffs." However, the intent of "grouped" was to cover the situation when the flags are displayed in a fan arrangement with one in the middle.

"Texas entered the United States under a treaty instead of annexation.This gives Texas the same priviledges on flag flying as the United States."

The first sentence is true, but irrelevant. The second is not true. Texas is a state of the United States like any other, and has no specially privileged status.

"Texas is the only state that has been its own country."

No, it is not. Hawaii and Vermont were also independent countries before they became states. Hawaii's state flag was formerly the flag of the independent Kingdom and Republic of Hawaii. The Republic of Vermont does not seem to have had a national flag during its brief life. This might have been because it didn't need one -- in the 18th century national flags were used mostly to identify ships, and Vermont was (and is) landlocked.

Regards,

Peter Ansoff

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  8. MAHEFF

MAHEFF Guest

Texas Flag code states the Texas flag at same height as US flag.

3100.055. DISPLAY ON FLAGPOLE OR FLAGSTAFF WITH FLAG OF
    UNITED STATES. (a) If it is necessary for the state flag and the
    flag of the United States to be displayed on the same flagpole or
    flagstaff, the United States flag should be above the state flag.
    (b) If the state flag and the flag of the United States are
    displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs at the same location:
    :) (1) the flags should be displayed on flagpoles or
    flagstaffs of the same height;
    (2) the flags should be of approximately equal size;
    (3) the flag of the United States should be, from the
    perspective of an observer, to the left of the state flag;
    (4) the flag of the United States should be hoisted
    before the state flag is hoisted; and
    (5) the state flag should be lowered before the flag of
    the United States is lowered.

I hope this helps

9. Peter Ansoff

Texas Flag code states the Texas flag at same height as US flag.

That's correct. The original question was "Is Texas the only state flag that can be flown at the same level with the United States flag?..." The answer is no. According to the US Flag Code, all state flags can be flown at the same height as the US flag.

The Texas code implies that the US flag should not be higher than the Texas flag if they are flown on separate poles. I don't know offhand if any other state has this provision. Otherwise, the Texas code mirrors the US code. It specifies that the US flag should be on the right (the observer's left) of the Texas flag, which is the position of precedence.

Peter Ansoff

10. saweww

saweww New Member

Do people know that they are teaching 9th graders in Texas that the state DOES have the privilege to fly its flag higher than the US flag? I was quite surprised and appalled to find out my niece came home and announced this to their household.

I realize this is a really old string but I had to say this somewhere. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  11. Peter Ansoff

Hi, sawaww -- Welcome to the forum!

Do people know that they are teaching 9th graders in Texas that the state DOES have the privilege to fly its flag higher than the US flag? I was quite surprised and appalled to find out my niece came home and announced this to their household.

Wow! Let's hope that this is just a case of teacher confusion, rather than something that's found its way into the school curriculum.

Best,

Peter Ansoff

12. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Just an urban legend gone awry. See:
    snopes.com: Texas Flag Flies at the Same Height as the U.S. Flag?

13. Peter Ansoff

It sounds like this incarnation of the legend transcends the one in Snopes: The version that they debunk says that the Texas flag is the only one that can fly at the same level as the US flag. The version that saweww's daughter heard says that it can fly higher than the US flag! The tall tale got taller, literally.

BTW, I disagree with one item in the Snopes article. It refers to Texas as "a quasi-independent republic prior to its admission to the United States." There was nothing "quasi" about its status as an independent nation.

Peter Ansoff