Thank you...

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by theroundrobin, May 24, 2014.

1. theroundrobin

theroundrobin New Member

Thank you for this site where it seems one can find most any information re: our blessed U.S. Flag. I got here by googling "American flag etiquette" btw. You may be interested in what caused me to look for this or another forum like it.

Yesterday, 5/23/14, I had an interesting conversation w/ mgmt at our local Wal-mart. I had noticed that they were flying the U.S. flag at half-staff on this, a Friday of Memorial Day w/e. I asked if they were sure they should be flying the flag at half-staff "today" instead of just on Monday, Memorial Day. It put them in a quandry as they had been instructed by "corporate" to do so. I told them "maybe they should ck w/ the VFW." :eek: I was 95% certain that the flag was only to be at half-staff on Monday, but to be certain, I decided to find out for sure today, Saturday of Memorial Day w/e, for my own flag flying knowledge.

So, thank you again for your site & forum. All are welcome to visit our National Historic sites of a fully-restored Civil War fort & National Cemetery #1...Arlington Nat'l Cemetery is #2, in Fort Scott, KS.

May God bless America...again!

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, "TheRoundRobin", and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

The three Wal*Marts in our area are also flying their U.S. Flags @ "half-staff", and have been doing so since May 15th. I haven't talked to anyone about it because I assumed that they started doing it on May 15th because it was "Police Officers Memorial Day", which is a "half-staff" day. I don't know if they forgot about their Flags being at half-staff, or they decided to fly them that way until after Memorial Day.

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forum!

Patriotically Yours,

Robin Hickman
    ("Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man")
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Just for the record, the President's proclamation (issued on Friday and available on the White House web site) says:

I request the Governors of the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, officials of the other territories subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, and appropriate officials of all units of government, to direct that the flag be flown at half-staff until noon on this Memorial Day on all buildings, grounds, and naval vessels throughout the United States and in all areas under its jurisdiction and control. I also request the people of the United States to display the flag at half-staff from their homes for the customary forenoon period.

I don't know where the "Corporate" folks at Wal Mart got their information . . .