The American Flag as a Rug!

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by NAVA1974, Apr 17, 2007.

1. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

The USFlag Code has provisions regarding the display of the US flag including:
    (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the
    ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
    (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or
    drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but
    always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always
    arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red
    below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front
    of the platform, and for decoration in general.
    (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in
    such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in
    any way.

Take a look at the Flag Rug at Stars and Stripes USA Flag

Should some patriotic American inform these Brits that they are defacing our flag?
    Or should we just ignore their lack of knowledge regarding our practices?
    The UK has no flag code, per se, but oddly enough, they don't have
    a National Flag, either. The flag commonly called the Union Jack (more correctly the Union Flag) is the Flag of the United Kingdom, not the flag of her majesty's subjects. Of course the Crown and Parliament have both indicated that they have no objection to people flying the Union Flag on land, but technically British Citizens living in Great Briatin have no National Flag, except perhaps the George's Cross of England and the Andrew's Cross of Scotland.

2. hey we Brits are not all bad!!
    i should inform these people myself too! without having a 'flag' that goes on the floor and meant for stepping on!

ive never seen a Union flag rug (they probably exist though)
    its true that we dont have a flag code. we dont need one either for our flag. do you ever hear of people seriously disrespecting our flag?
    it is left to our common sense to display it properly and we dont fly them outside so much as people in th USA fly the Stars and Stripes.

whether its a good thing or a bad thing its not seen as such a big deal here if somebody does disrespect our flag. this is why you rarely hear of people burning our flag for example.. because it doesnt cause much of a stir when it happens and the flag burner doesnt get the attention he is seeking. in USA if somebody burns the Stars and Stripes theres a huge debate about whether it should be banned or not and people get very agitated and bothered by people burning it so it makes more people want to burn it. if people didn get so bothered by it id bet it would rapidly decrease.

my own personal opinion is i dont like malicious flag burning of any nation especially the stars and stripes and the union flag but i can accept a 'joke' in good taste and humor. a flag rug is not good taste or necessary.

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Yes, there is a different attitude towards flags in the US versus the UK. We are very uptight when it comes to disrespect towards the US Flag, but it also leads to good open debate about what the flag, and our nation, stands for. By the way, the company that makes the US Flag Rug also makes a Union Jack Rug. Why don't you send them a note questioning the propriety of flag rugs - I, for one, do beleive it goes beyond the limits of "good taste."