The gold or yellow trim and what it means beyond all the disinformation

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by Glenn_EG, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

The fringed flag is a army flag

Sorry, but your logic is wrong. Army flags have fringes, but that doesn't mean that all flags with fringes are Army flags. Fringed flags are widely used in civilian contexts as well.

and signifies army sovereignty in the area in which the flag is seen.

There's no such thing as "Army sovereignty." Sovereignty is an attribute of a government.

In other words the area is under military occupation.

As a friend of mine who grew up in Communist Romania once said, "Trust me -- if we were under military control, we'd know it!"

Peter Ansoff

2. trollz

trollz New Member

Lets see, adm law,cival law.distric courts, posted colors, perm & temp flagpoles............. I've read and learned plenty. Thanx to all of you. As Sgt @ arms for our Am Leg it is my responsibality to "get it right" when we display our flags. At our head table is good ol' USA to the RIGHT of the speaker. I have learned a simple trick when it comes to flag display. If it is displayed RIGHT...... it will never be left ! On the other side of the speaker,to his left, are the rest of the flags. We have 1) Am Leg 2) Am Leg Aux 3)Sons of the Leg 4) Leg Riders 5)Canadian Flag.... All of our flags are trimmed with a gold fringe. When we have meetings they look good and we have had MANY comments about the display. All positive thank you ! Above all I feel this way,... I respect your right to burn my flag:mad: but I may kill you after you do ! :rolleyes: I spent my time as a Marine to defend this cuontry and our flag. This include those inailxxx rights also. Burn my flag, You may have the right but it may not be your best CHOICE. I like the gold trim when I carry our flag in a parade.

3. DrVic

DrVic New Member

At my peril, I will add some folklore to this thread--that the gold fringe is a symbol of Federal authority (over other kinds of authority, such as state flags).
    State flags cannot be placed on flagpoles as high as the flagpole from which the Federal flag is held--except in Texas, where the annexation agreement allowed the Texas flag to be flown at the same height as the Federal flag--and everywhere I have been in Texas, it is.

4. Peter Ansoff

Hello, DrVic!

At my peril, I will add some folklore to this thread--that the gold fringe is a symbol of Federal authority (over other kinds of authority, such as state flags). State flags cannot be placed on flagpoles as high as the flagpole from which the Federal flag is held--except in Texas, where the annexation agreement allowed the Texas flag to be flown at the same height as the Federal flag . . .

You are right about all of this being folklore. None of it is true, of course. The gold fringe is not actually a symbol of anything; it's just a decorative addition that's used on the US flag and other flags. All state flags can be flown at the same height as the US flag; there is nothing unique about Texas in this respect. Neither the proposed Texas annexation treaty of 1844 nor the joint US Congressional resolutions of 1845 said anything about flags.

Best,

Peter Ansoff

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  5. DrVic

DrVic New Member

Peter, no PERIL involved. What I heard was oral folklore and presented it as such, not as researched information. Otherwise I would have said so. I am also a Vandy alum, MA 83, PhD 85, so I try to be careful how I present such information. What I presented was ORAL FOLKLORE and that ONLY. You have clearly researched the matter more than I, and I will clearly defer to you on the subject. However, if I have heard it---and I do mix, let's say, in non-scholarly circles--then the folklore IS OUT THERE. There is probably a paper in this, but it couldn't be high on my priority list. Other than the Annexation Agreement, do you have other authoritative sources?

6. DrVic

DrVic New Member

I am with you. My grandfather was a WWI Marine, uncle WWII Navy, father WWII Naval Ordnance. We have many rights. What happens afterwards--I wouldn't mess with a Marine. Semper Fi.

7. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello! :D

There are at least eight threads in this Forum, "Flag Specs and Design", that deal directly with the "issue" of the gold fringe on U.S. and other flags. A wild guess on my part would be that there are probably another 15 or 20 threads on the same subject scattered throughout the other Forums on this site.

So, go take a look. Broaden your horizons. Learn something new. Re-learn something again for the very first time. :cool:

The source for most of the "urban legends", "folklore", and "conspiracy theories" about the origins, purposes, and hidden meanings of the Flag's GOLD FRINGE come from..... wait for it..... the LUNATIC FRINGE! :D

Sorry! I couldn't help it !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

8. OMGosh..why all the arguing between you all? We all understood & there is no need for anyone to act superior to the other...we are all friends, right?!

9. Peter Ansoff

why all the arguing between you all?

Because we all just love to argue! (-;

Seriously, though, disagreement and debate are a critical part of scholarship. This is especially true when the subject is something like the American flag, which is rife with mythology and elicits strong emotions. One of the basic purposes of this forum is to provide factual information, based on reliable sources, and to stem the tide of misinformation that's all over the popular media. As you can see from some of the posts in this thread, people sometimes get upset and belligerent when we show them that their imaginative stories aren't true.

And by the way, welcome to the forum!

Peter Ansoff

10. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Excellent answer, Peter, but somehow your statement reminded me of the LIBERTY AND UNION flag...

RedEnsignUpset.GIF

:)

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

11. Robin Hickman

Unless, of course, it belongs to a member of one of the "Tea" parties!!! :eek: :eek:

RedEnsignUpset&UpsideDown.jpg

BTW : GREAT Job, Nick !!! :D

PS. Where's The Gold Fringe??? :eek:

Robin "Save Me Obi-Wan Google! You're My Only Hope!" Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

12. VERBALMILITIA

VERBALMILITIA New Member

This is obviously a fed disinfo site created just to try to 'debunk' those who understand that flags are there to signify jurisdiction of the one world corporations of the British Monarchy, (more commonly known as countries). I am not going to waste my time trying to prove that the 'vexillologists' here are either feds or brainwashed sheep, they do a good enough job of that on their own as soon as they try to explain the meaning of a gold fringed flag by trying to say that its merely decoration.

If you do not understand that the symbolism of flags is to signify jurisdiction and want to understand what the gold fringe on any flag means and that it is not there for merely 'decoration' try using this site for starters:
    WHAT IS THAT GOLD FRINGE ON THE FLAG? | Peace . Gold . Liberty | Ron Paul 2012

If you lie with dogs all you are going to get is flees.

Our Words are Weapons,
    Our Ammo, the Truth.

VERBALMILITIA
    marc27

13. Peter Ansoff

This is obviously a fed disinfo site created just to try to 'debunk' those who understand that flags are there to signify jurisdiction of the one world corporations of the British Monarchy, (more commonly known as countries).

Oh, well, I guess the jig is up -- he's on to us! Let's hear it for the British Monarchy! I say, what?

I am not going to waste my time

Thank you for not wasting all of our time.

Peter Ansoff

14. Robin Hickman

Greetings, VERBALMILITIA (or is it "Verbal Militia"?) !!! :cool:

Boy! There sure is a LOT of dull and boring stuff about you when "verbalmilitia"+"marc27" are "Googled" together, isn't there?

Almost half as much as when you "Google" me and the word "Flags". :eek:

Anyway, thanks for stopping by and sharing !!!
    :D

Robin Hickman
    Sullivan, Missouri, USA

PS. If you don't STAND for SOMETHING, you'll always FALL for EVERYTHING..... Alex Jones tells you!!! :eek:

15. harleyborgais

harleyborgais New Member

All laws and officers of govt. and military do have to swear to support the constitution, which gives jurisdiction over four forms of law only:
    1. The constitution itself
    2. The admiralty/maritime international law
    3. Equity law (contracts, and fairness)
    4. Common Law, (harm, redress and for grievances)

HERE IS WHERE THE CONSTITUTION GIVES JUDGES THE RIGHT TO DETERMINE WHAT IS LAW:
    (that means translating or defining the constitution)
    Article III, Section 2:
    "In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make."

That is why the supreme court has the power to define what is law and fact, that is its purpose.
    If the judges do wrong, you take them to a grand jury I believe, if it is a "capitol or otherwise infamous crime".

16. Peter Ansoff

All,

I think that it's time to close this thread. It has wandered far afield from anything related to the forum, and there's really no point in rehashing the same stuff. If anyone disagrees, please drop me a private message and we'll talk about it. Thanks!

Peter Ansoff
    Forum Admin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.