The use of the American Flag during Church Services

Discussion in 'Other Flags' started by Barbara 5706, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Barbara 5706

Barbara 5706 Guest

Any input on the fact that the American Flag shouldn't be displayed or used during worship? Oh, and I'm for the use of the flag! Why would someone think it would hurt someones feelings to do so? Thanks:)

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Barbara!

Any input on the fact that the American Flag shouldn't be displayed or used during worship?

This is really a religious issue. The flag code makes it clear that it is appropriate to display the US flag in church, but the question of whether such a display is consistent with the beliefs of a particular faith or denomination is up to the congregation and the religious authorities.

An interesting, related, issue is the precedence accorded to the US flag if it is displayed in a church. The US flag code says that it should be to the right of any other flag, presumably including a religious flag such as the Christian Flag. However, the Christian Flag has its own flag code, which states that it should be to the right of the US flag. Again, I guess it's up to the congregation and the religious authorities to say which code should be followed.

Peter Ansoff

3. CultureGeek

CultureGeek Member

Amen to that!

I'm especially enthusiastic about your statement because it affirms a point of Constitutional law that has been on my mind of late: the autonomy of churches (as long as they aren't doing human sacrifice or anything) as a function of the separation of church and state (right alongside the better-known function of protecting the autonomy of the secular state)*.

*Pop quiz: which presidential candidate touched on this question in a recent debate?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007