Thread color for a pole hem on an american flag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by I love to sew, Jan 4, 2009.

1. I love to sew

I love to sew New Member

Hello All

Happy New Year

I would like to know what color thread should I use for an american flag?

I have created the hem from my flag that have the red and white stripes as well as the blue union for my hem. I don't have a separate piece of material for my hem for example a white pole hem material.

I need an expert help. :confused:

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

The nylon fringed flag in my boss's office uses transparent nylon thread (just like monafilament fishing line) to make that stitch and it picks up the color of the cloth it goes through. Nick

3. I love to sew

I love to sew New Member

Hello

Thanks for responding to my post.

I used that clear thread for the hem pole. However, I had to take the stitch out and use red thread instead as it seem like it would not work right. I'll try it again on my next flag.

4. does this mean you finished your flag??

PLEASE can we seee a picture of it?? some close ups would be nice too
    Lets see your work!

5. I love to sew

I love to sew New Member

Yes it is completed. I will take pictures of it and will post it.

Does it matter what color thread I use for the pole hem. I ended up remove the clear thread because it wasn't acting right and restitched the hem with red thread. Is the red thread okay? I saw some american flag pictures on the internet showed red thread for the pole hem.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

The color of the sewing thread is not part of the official specification unless you are making flags under a Government or Military contract, so don't worry if the pole hem stitching shows. Indeed if you display the flag from a vertical pole you will likely want the flag to be arranged so that as much of it as possible can be seen - this means that the majority of the pole, and all of the pole hem, will be hidden behind the folds of the flag. Looking forward to seeing the pic of your flag!

7. I love to sew

I love to sew New Member

Ok. Thanks

I will take a picture of it and scan it so I can post it.