Three flag dilemma

Discussion in 'Other Flags' started by Godpleaser, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Godpleaser

Godpleaser Guest

Our church is preparing to hold an Eagle Scout Court of Honor. I am very excited to participate in this ceremony, but I cannot find an answer to a flag display question that has come up. My Eagle Scout is also researching the answer to this, but any help that any of you could provide will be greatly appreciated.

We have a three-way flag stand that the family would like to use. As is mentioned in some of the other posts, our church doesn't have room for a long row of flags, so we have combined the National Colors and the Christian flag in the stand, flying the Colors to the left and the Christian flag to the right (which we believe to be properly displayed).

For the Eagle Scout Court we need to include the Boy Scout flag. I believe that the National Colors will now post to the center (vertical) location, the Christian flag would post to the left (as you look at it) location and the Boy Scout flag would post on the right side.

I have searched several sights in the Internet and eventually found this forum. I am hoping that someone here can clear up our dilemma.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

"I believe that the National Colors will now post to the center (vertical) location, the Christian flag would post to the left (as you look at it) location and the Boy Scout flag would post on the right side."

This sounds exactly correct. Paragraph 7e of the Flag Code says:

"The flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group when a number of flags of States or localities or pennants of societies are grouped and displayed from staffs."

Presumably, the Christian flag should have precedence over the Boy Scout flag. Several places in the Code make it clear that the right side of a display (the viewer's left) has precedence, so it makes sense to put the Christian and Boy Scout flags in the places you describe.

Peter Ansoff

3. Godpleaser

Godpleaser Guest

Thank you, Peter. I was pretty sure that I was reading the code correctly, and that I had identified the precedence of the flags correctly.

I appreciate your confirmation. I want to make sure that we have all our ducks in a row so that the ceremony is as perfect as it can be.

4. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Guest

Would this also be the same when a US Flag is in the center of 3 same height poles, State flag is next (Viewers left) and City flag (Viewers Right)?

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Steve,

Would this also be the same when a US Flag is in the center of 3 same height poles, State flag is next (Viewers left) and City flag (Viewers Right)?

Actually, no. That arrangement applies when they are grouped together in a "fan" formation, and the US flag is in the middle and therefore highest. When they're on three independent, same-height vertical poles, the US flag should be on the right (viewers' left) the state flag in the middle and the city flag on the left (viewer's right).

Peter Ansoff