Three Flags in a Row

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Neb_Drifter, May 23, 2009.

1. Neb_Drifter

Neb_Drifter New Member

Good Afternoon:

I just bought a house and I have three flag holders on the side of the house. The center holder is higher and know that holder is for the American Flag and have been using that holder for such. I have a Nebraska state flag (I live in Missouri now) and a few other flags. (Family Crest as well as the Welsch flag) I would like to hang each flag, I get confused on the order of the flags knowing the center flag is always the American Flag.

If I but the Welsch flag out and the Nebraska state flag which goes where and if the Nebraska State flag goes out and the Family Crest which goes where. Thanks and great forum. Enjoyed reading all the posts.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, Neb -- welcome to the forum!

When flags are displayed together at the same height, the "rule of thumb" is that the position of honor is on the flags' own right (the left of an observer facing the flags). If all of your poles were the same height, the US flag would go on the right rather than in the middle. However, since your middle pole is higher, it makes sense to put the US flag there.

As far as the precedence of the other three flags (Wales, Nebraska and your personal flag): Generally, the order of precedence is national flags, sub-national (e.g., state or provincial) flags, organizational flags, and others. Both Wales and Nebraska are sub-national units (of the UK and the USA, respectively), and one could make arguments in favor of either one. Personally, I'd put Wales first, because it has a much stronger cultural and "national" identity than Nebraska does, but it's really a matter of personal taste. Both Wales and Nebraska would take precedence over your personal flag.

Following this reasoning, the combinations would be Wales/US/Nebraska, Wales/US/Personal, or Nebraska/US/Personal (from left to right, as seen by an observer facing the display).

Could you post a picture of your display here for us? It would be especially interesting to see the design of your personal flag.

Peter Ansoff

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

:D

Hi, Neb Drifter !!!

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site forums !

PLEASE post photos of your Flags flying !!! :D

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our forums !

Robin Hickman

:D