Torn Flag Displayed.

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by MASTERDVFRANKD@AOL.COM, Mar 10, 2009.

1. (AFTER TAKING THE BELOW ACTION, I LOCATED THE "MMR" PHONE NUMBER, CALLED AND SENT E-MAIL, WIHT THE BELOW PICTURES, TO AN OFFICE EMPLOYEE THAT SAYS HE'S A RETIRED, (20), U.S. NAVY.)

1. "MMR OFFSHORE SERVICES" SIGN, REMAINS OF OLD GLORY OF FLAGPOLE. (HAS BEEN LIKE THAT FOR AT LEAST A WEEK.)

2. EVIDENTLY "MMR" BOUGHT PLACE OUT, "AS IS" AND HAS NEVER TAKEN DOWN THAT "FLAG".

3. TODAY, 9 MAR. 2009, I TOOK MY TIME TO GO THERE. (SEE PICTURES)
    NOBODY WAS AROUND. GATE OPEN. TOOK DOWN FLAG. WROTE A MESSAGE IN BACK OF MY BUSINESS CARD, ATTACHED IT TO "FLAG REMAINS" AND SECURED TO DOOR KNOB.

4. PUT UP MY OLD, BUT MUCH BETTER CONDITION FLAG, ON FLAG POLE.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(WROTE ON BACK OF MY BUSINESS CARD: "DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU COME FROM, BUT YOU ARE IN "AMERICA" AND WE RESPECT OUR FLAG.
    NOBODY WAS HERE, SO I TOOK DOWN WHAT YOU HAD UP ON THE FLAF POLE & PUT A BETTER CONDITION "OLD GLORY" UP IN IT'S PLACE. FRANK "D")

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I appreciate your concern over the display of a tattered flag, but to risk being accused of trespassing and petty larceny goes beyond the call of the US Flag code. Had I faced a similar situation I would leave the new flag at the principal entrance of the business with a note asking them to use the flag to replace the one that is no longer fit for display.

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, Frank !

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site forums !

BTW : NONE of your pictures that you posted here can be seen !!! :eek:

I agree with NAVA1974's position and I'm willing to go at least one step further.

I would have taken the "direct approach" (almost always the best way) and talked to the business owner in person. NOT on the phone, but face-to-face, in person. I would have done so in a friendly and respectable manner.

One of our members, Ben Frink, ran across a somewhat similar situation in December, 2008. Here's a link to his thread and its responses.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/car-dealerships-and-u-s-flag-3835.html

But, even though the "deed has already been doen", I (for one) would like to see the pictures you took of the business' Flag. Can you re-post them, please?

Thank you !

And Thank You for bringing your concerns to our forums !!!

Robin Hickman

4. :)
    HERE IT IS.....BY THE WAY.....THE FLAG I PUT UP WAS GETTING TORE UP FROM THE WEATHER, SINCE THEY NEVER TOOK,IT DOWN.

I CALLED AND EMAIL THAT RETIRED CHIEF AND TOLD HIM THAT IF HIS DUTIES KEPT HIM FROM ATTENDING THE RESPECT AND HONOR TO THE FLAG, IT WOULD BE BEST TO JUST TAKE IT DOWN, AND DON'T FLY IT AGAIN, UNLESS IT CAN BE TAKING CARE OF IT PROPERLY, INCLUDING, IF IT WAS GOING TO BE LEFT UP 24 / 7, TO GET A "SPOT LIGHT" ON IT FOR NIGHT TIME HOURS, AND ALSO, PURCHASE A "WEATHER" RESISTANT FLAG.

THE FLAG WAS TAKEN DOWN ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO, AND HAS NOT BNEEN FLOWN AGAIN, AS OF TODAY. (THIS WAS APPX. BIGINNING OF APRIL 2009)

FRANK DE LA OLIVA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Robin Hickman

Hi, Frank !

Your photos still aren't showing up here !

Here's "how" to "git 'er done"!

When you click on the "Reply" button, and the reply window opens up, there is a double-row "tool bar" at the top of the "message" window. The TOP row of buttons has a little "paper clip" icon with a menu arrow next to it. This is used for adding attachments to your reply!

When you click on the "paper clip" a new window opens up. This window will show you what types of files you are allowed to attach AND the limitations to their sizes!

NOTE : When attaching photos, the MOST you may attach to any given reply is FOUR (4) !

Given the size limitations for photos, you'll probably have to re-size your pictures smaller. I usually size mine to 400 x 300 pixels, without any problems. Sometimes you can get them up to 600x450.

When the "attachments" windows opens, you'll be given the option to upload a photo from your computer or from a URL on the internet.

In THIS example, I've uploaded one from my computer. I clicked the "Browse" button and navigated to my desktop, and selected an already "pre-sized" photo titled, "PeaceOfficersMemorialDay-HalfStaff.JPG", and clicked the "upload" button.

IF the picture was too large, the website's software would let me know. I'd then re-size it to make it smaller and try again.

The "attachment" should now appear as a link in the bottom left-hand corner of this message. I can also use that attachment to place the picture INSIDE the reply, but for now I'll just leave it as an attachment.

BTW : The photo I'm using as an example, "PeaceOfficersMemorialDay-HalfStaff.JPG", I took Friday morning, May 15th. It was National "Peace Officers Memorial Day", and I flew my American Flag at half-staff to honor those peace officers who have fallen in the line of duty in the past year.

Hopefully, this short little tutorial will be enough for you to attach the pictures (limit 4) of the tattered Flag!

Robin Hickman

PS. I'll make another reply after this one to actually put the photo INSIDE the reply so it is part of the reply, not just an attachment!

Attached Files:

6. Robin Hickman

Hello, again, Frank !

OK, now I'm going to upload the same photo as before, attach it to this reply, THEN "manage the attachment" so that the photo appears IN the reply!

I do EXACTLY what I did the first time : Clicked on the "paper clip" icon in the upper toolbar; when the new window opened, I browsed to my desktop and selected the same photo that I did before (PeaceOfficersMemorialDay-HalfStaff.JPG), then I uploaded it. So far, so good!

Now that I have that photo uploaded as an attachment, I go back up to the "paper clip" icon in the toolbar and click on it AGAIN. When I do that, a small window opens up titled (in RED) "Manage Attachments", and it shows a list of the files I have already attached to this reply.

Now, I'm going to click on the file listed, BUT FIRST, I'm going to use my cursor to select WHERE in my reply I want my photo to go. When I have the "perfect" spot chosen, I click on it. Now a flashing vertical line should appear (as it normally would if I were to continue typing).

Still with me ? Good !

With the placement spot chosen, I click on the "paper clip", select the attached file, and click on it. When I've done that, some text should show up right where I selected it to go.

The text will have three major elements. The first will be the word, "ATTACH" inside of brackets, ie. .

Now, IF I've followed my instructions correctly, the photo that I've attached to this reply should show up right below this sentence !!!

PeaceOfficersMemorialDay-2Flags-Half-Staff-400x300.JPG

SEE ???

Hopefully, this will assist you in posting your pictures here on the USA-Flag-Site forums !

Fair Winds & Following Seas !

Robin Hickman

7. Hey Robin Hickman!!!

Thank You For The Info On Uploading The Pictures!

I Hope It Works.

Frank "d":)

Attached Files:

8. Robin Hickman

Howdy, Frank !

Yup !

It Worked !

Robin "Sometimes I Surprise Myself!" Hickman

9. Hey Robin!

Great!

By The Way, How About Helping Me Out With How Do I Get The Forms To Fill Out & Send To The "usa Flag Site" When I Want To Report A Business / Location That Is Not Flying The Flag Respectfully. (torn, Not "lighted" At Night, Etc.)
    Seems To Me That A Lot Of Individuals / Businesses Don't Know A Thing About The Proper Way To Display "old Glory" And Feel That Once They Display The "flag" They Are "all Done" And Just Leave It Flying Until It Gets Torn Beyond Recognition, Or, Hopefully, Someone, Like Us, Would Call It To Their Attention.
    I Thought It Would Be Better, In My Situation, To Fill Out A Form And Send It To The Site, And It Can Notify Them In The Proper Way.

(i'm Still Working Offshore In The "gom" In Tnhe "oil Patch" With No Set Schedule.)

Thank You.

Frank "d"

10. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Whoa, there, Frank. You said "How About Helping Me Out With How Do I Get The Forms To Fill Out & Send To The "usa Flag Site" When I Want To Report A Business / Location That Is Not Flying The Flag Respectfully."

The USA Flag Site is not a police agency. We discuss proper use and display of the flag but are not into enforcement. In fact, I think that any organized group that took on the task of citing people and organizations for improper flag display would be going a bit far. Well, maybe the American Legion could get away with it, but if a bunch of "self proclaimed experts" [which is what we would probaly be called] tried doing that we would get more negative publicity than kudos.

I think your idea of informing folks of the proper method and means of displaying the Flag of our country is laudable, but it should be on an individual basis.

Should the USA Flag Site post a sample letter that any person could use to enlighten others? I don't see why not. But this forum should not be cited as an authority - cite the United States Flag Code, or the state/local ordninances that are being violated.

11. Robin Hickman

Hello, again, Frank !

At the risk of sounding like a "ditto-head", I agree with NAVA1974. We are NOT the "Flag Police" or the "Patriot Police". Nor should we be.

IF I understand it correctly, you gave it your best shot, not just once, but twice. MMR has since taken down the Flag that you put up for them. It had been flying 24/7 since you put it up and a month later it was starting to look pretty "ratty". You sent them a "heads up" e-mail about the Flag's condition and included a reminder that if they were going to fly it at night that it needed to have a spotlight on it.

Their only response was to take the Flag down. Case Closed.

Frank, neither you nor I, nor anybody else, can compel another person to "love" or "like" or even respect the Flag. No one can force another to be patriotic. It can't be done.

You tried to get them to do the "right thing", but they ended up doing the "NO THING".

Since they are no longer flying a Flag at all (assuming that they haven't started do so again), then there really isn't much else you can do at this point.

On the other hand, there probably is a real nice "printable" copy of the U.S. Flag Code somewhere out "there" on the internet. A nice, easy-to-read, document that you can print out to include with a nice, friendly and helpful, letter encouraging them to not only fly the Flag, but to fly it "right".

As my Mother and Grandmothers all said (and probably most everyone else's too), "You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar".

Fair Winds & Following Seas,

Robin Hickman