Torn flag

Discussion in 'American Flag Disposal' started by Mattmcd, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Mattmcd

Mattmcd Guest

I was looking that the page about displaying a flag and the last note seemed to leave it up to our decision - "When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner."What is too worn. The reason I ask is I go to a city owned fitness center and the flag in my opinion is worn and should be taken down, even if the don't have an immediate replacement. The rips are 3-4 inches deep and the front seam has split from the rest of the flag and it is wrapping itself up to the point where it hardly flaps in the wind. I just want to be properly informed before giving them any more crap about what it looks like.ThanksMatt
  2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Matt!

First of all, here is what the flag code actually says:

"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

There are no hard and fast rules, but generally the flag should be retired when it's torn, dirty and/or obviously faded. It sounds like the one you are describing certainly needs to be retired.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with washing a dirty flag, or repairing tears or pulled-out seams.

Peter Ansoff