U.S. Flag, POW flag, and state flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Justin127, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Justin127

Justin127 New Member

How should I display the U.S. flag, POW flag, and state flag vertically? I would like to hang them from the rafters of our large barn. Also should they be displayed in the middle when you are facing them?
  2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Justin127, and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

I tried answering your inquiry a couple of days ago, but after working on it for over 1 1/2 hours (I don't know how to type), the website "ate" my reply. So THIS time, instead of explaining everything, I'll just "cut to the chase".

When your three (3) same-sized Flags, U.S., POW*MIA, and State, are hung side-by-side, vertically or horizontally, on a wall, they should be hung, from the observers'/viewers' left-to-right, in the following order: U.S. Flag, POW*MIA Flag, and your STATE Flag. IF the U.S. Flag was hung/placed VISIBLY higher up, then the alternative placement would be POW*MIA Flag, U.S. Flag (elevated), and STATE Flag.

Since I don't know which direction the barn's rafters run in relation to the barn itself, I can't offer you a reasonable opinion. However, MOST barns that I've been in have their entrances at either end, with one end being the MAIN entrance. IF this is the case with YOUR barn, AND... IF the rafters run across (perpendicular to) the barn's roof (instead of "in-line"), THEN I would recommend that you hang them from the rafter farthest away from the main entrance in the same positions as described earlier.

Check Out The U.S. FLAG CODE and see if there's anything that might help you solve this "problem". Perhaps in Section 7, "Position & Manner Of Display"?

I hope this helps you!

Thank you for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forum!

Robin Hickman
    ("Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man")
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.