U.S. National Ensign - in Burgee form

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by Nostood, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Nostood

Nostood New Member

I also drafted a version of the National Ensign in burgee form, but I don't think it looks as crisp as the U.S. Yacht Ensign burgee. I apologize in advance for the star alignment - this was my first draft.

I think this is on a little more questionable ground than the Yacht Ensign. Technically, the Yacht Ensign is kind of in a limbo, although still recognized as a representative of the U.S. flag.

This version runs the risk of looking like bunting or advertising flags, but properly sewn up, it could look sharp.

I did think about arranging the stars in a circle or large star, but it gets even "busier" looking

Attached Files:

2. too bad i cant see it... that file format is not one i have on my comp (after i unzipped it it just said windows cant open this file)

3. PRGringo

PRGringo Member

UK: If you have MS Office 97 on you PC, you can download the File Compatibility Converter file from MS and that will open it.

I cannot save it because I never bought a license for it.

It is an interesting design Jon and one that would be highly discernable from a distance. There are a lot of stars (50)and the vertical stripes make it stand out!

4. i dont have any kind of MS office...i dont use this computer for work... pleasure only!

sounds like an interesting flag though... wish i could see it

5. Nostood

Nostood New Member

Let me try submitting the picture as a bit map.

Attached Files:

6. Oh yes - that worked - i can see it now - thanks!!

i quite like that design its pretty good

the good thing about the US flag is that its design is easily adaptable into other forms - yet still identified as the same!

if i was to have any questions about its design to bring to the table it would be this:
    how do you propose this flag be made? and of what material?

Are you planning on having it printed or embroidered and sewn? - if the latter - you might consider that having that amount of seams on a small flag might for one compromise its flyability and 2 be easier to come apart since smal flags 'flap' more violently than large flags

would a small pennant like that on the boat with that much complication be able to be seen from perhaps another boat on the water? - or would it be a flag that only the boats own passengers could admire?

7. Nostood

Nostood New Member

Hi, you bring up some very good points. One of my pet peeves is a flag that is tattered and I've seen the beating a flag can get at high speed on a boat. The flag would probably be printed because of that very reason - too many seams in a sewn stripe flag to potentially fray. If printed, I'd want it to have strongly sewn edge seams. Another benefit of printing is that it drives the price way down. The goal is to put this in the hands of pleasure boaters.

I actually see this being used on small craft that traditionally wouldn't carry a flag. Small aluminum boats, canoes, kayaks, rowboats. The bow is actually more "out of the way" for the given activity -fishing, attaching a motor, paddling, etc. It would be a way to get the flag out there for the masses.

I agree that from a distance it would be more difficult to identify as a U.S. craft, but I also don't anticipate this flag being used much around international waters. I see it as a domestic, inland waterway way for people to show their support of the United States.

I actually think the Yacht Burgee with the fouled anchor and 13 stars looks sharper from a distance, because the blue canton isn't crowded with stars, but the idea of representing every state equally by the same size star, while also showing the original 13 colonies ranging in size from largest to smallest gives everyone equal representation.

I might tweak the star pattern somewhat, but I like the idea of putting more flags on the small craft of this country.

Just my thoughts.