Union Jack Dettra Flag?

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Sarahbeara, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Sarahbeara

Sarahbeara New Member

Hi all!

I was curious to find out more about a flag I recently found. It is a Union Jack Don't Tread On Me Flag. It is made by Dettra and is a Bulldog 100% Cotton Bunting Made in the USA 3x5 ft flag. It was actually the first time I've seen this style of a don't tread on me flag and it intrigued me. I googled it and couldn't find much on this specific flag. I was just curious about how old it may be, the history behind it, and if it could possibly be worth anything. Thanks all!

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Sarahbeara, and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

The DETTRA Flag Company was bought out by Annin & Company back in 1998, so your Flag is approximately 16 years old (at least). The heavy, 2-ply, cotton bunting "Bulldog" model was DETTRA's premier cotton Flag. After acquiring Dettra, Annin replaced the name "Defiance" with "Bulldog" for THEIR premier heavy-duty Cotton Flags. Annin still uses the name "Reliance" for their lighter-duty, cotton sheeting made Flags.

It sounds like you're talking about what is known as the "First Navy Jack". That is a Flag with 13 stripes, alternating red and white, with a rattlesnake (applique) running diagonally from the upper left (3rd stripe) to the lower right (10th stripe), with the motto "DONT TREAD ON ME" (in black) across the 12th stripe (white).

I have two "First Navy Jacks" that are 3'x5' nylon and made of sewn stripes, appliqued snake, and printed motto. Neither on is made of cotton or made by Dettra, so they're no help in giving you an idea on your Flag's approximate value. Most of the Major Flag Manufacturers in the USA still make versions of the "First Navy Jack", but they're almost always made of nylon and almost always dyed and not sewn/appliqued. Prices range from about $45-50 for the 3'x5' sizes.

You didn't state the size of your Flag or if it was a sewn & appliqued or printed/dyed. IF you could give us that information, PLUS post a few pictures of your Flag, that might go a long way towards finding out its relative value. We'd be able to see how it was manufactured and what kind of condition it's in.

I hope this helps, at least a little, and I wish I could have been of more help!

You can get more information about the "First Navy Jack" on WikiPedia :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Navy_Jack

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forum, and I hope you'll be able to post a little more info on it, and some pictures too!

Robin Hickman
    ("Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man")
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.