Unique 15 star flag on ebay

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by qbertman, Jan 16, 2011.

1. qbertman

qbertman New Member

I've come across an interesting 15 star flag on eBay, it's stars are arranged in an oval with 3 stars in the middle. The seller claims that the flag dates to the civil war through the centennial of kentucky. I had a few questions that I was hoping someone on the board could answer.

1) I was hoping that based on the construction of the flag that someone could opine on when the possible dates of construction could be?

2) Aside from the centennial of Kentucky, where there other reasons that 15 star flags were made from the civil period to the late 19th century?

3) The star pattern is quite unusual, I was wondering how common is this type of pattern and whether it is collectible?

EXTREMELY RARE ANTIQUE 15 STAR FLAG KENTUCKY STATEHOOD - eBay (item 320641744933 end time Jan-18-11 07:42:49 PST)

I've been looking for a unique sewn flag to display on my wall. But I was hoping to find out some more information before I bid. Thanks.

2. coasterville

coasterville Member

Why does it look a bit too new and machine stitched too perfect to me.

(Who knows nothing about antique flags, and is not qualified to say, but the photos just strike me as off)

3. AmericaHurrah

AmericaHurrah Member

The flag isn't Civil War period. It is very likely ca 1892. Someone with no feedback bid on it at regular intervals after $2,400, pushing it to $10,000. My opinion is that the seller was bidding on his own item. There was also someone else bidding under $2,400 with very little feedback. The whole thing was fishy to me.

If you are looking to invest a substantial amount of money in an early flag, you should buy one from an expert who can stand behind it. There are so many fakes and misrepresented flags on eBay and at the major auction houses. Try Jeff Bridgman American Antiques and Antique American Flags